USB drivers

Hello,

I am in a coursera course developing Android on the dragonboard. We are connecting the dragonboard to our PCs and I am having issues and I think it is the process for updating my USB drivers. I found another resource here:

Following along the instructions, I get lost on step 5 on page 12. Can anyone give an amateur some simple translated instructions?

THanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
Step 5 says to created a folder called ‘.android’ inside your home space which is usually reached using the special variable %USERPROFILE%
(Windows has several special variables like that . For eg: %PATH% which lists all the folders it searches for an executable etc.)

For step5 , please do the following:

1. Click ‘Start’ menu and type in ‘Run’ and go the Run command.
  2. In the Run command window type '%USERPROFILE% and it will take your home space.
  3. If you do not have a folder called ‘.android’ , please create one there.

Now continue the rest of the steps in that pdf.

hope this helps
Sujai.

Full Disclosure: I am an employee of Qualcomm SanDiego. Any opinions expressed in this or any other post may not reflect the opinions of my employer.

By luck I solved my problem before your reply. Many students have complained about this part of the course and looked like they rage quit. We have to update the drivers for one of the devices that did not show in the tutorials. The instructors in the video do it for an incorrect device and tell is it is normal or an issue with your iOS, which was wrong of them.

Thank you for the reply. I may have to use the info you provided in the near future or someone else will. Thanks agian.

Thanks for the feedback. I will pass it on to the relevant teams.
Can you point me to the video you are referring to. We could update it .

thanks
Sujai.

Full Disclosure: I am an employee of Qualcomm SanDiego. Any opinions expressed in this or any other post may not reflect the opinions of my employer

Hi,
As Mat I’m on courser IoT. Using the same document: DragonBoard™ 410c based on Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 processor
Software Build and Installation Guide, Linux Android. Page 12 step 8 says Obtain the latest version of the Qualcomm Composite USB driver from Documents and Downloads. I cant seem to find it can you please provide a link. I’m running Windows 10.
Thanks,
Rocio

Hi
I was able to disable the digital signature enforcement. thanks.

@mbdall and @Rocam: On behalf of the UCSD IoT team I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with the USB Driver installation for Windows, Coursera video. I am in the process of replacing it with a less confusing video, though this may take some time due to the holidays.

In the mean time, I will be taking the video down and replacing it with links to various resources (including these forums). Your input and help in these discussions, and those of Coursera are much appreciated.

We look forward to your continued participation in the UCSD IoT specialization, as well as all future input. Your observations and feedback help make our courses better for everyone.

Thanks!

-Robert

@mbdall can you specify how did you solve your problem for installing the USB drivers? I am trying to install it on a windows 7 machine. I have tried all the various suggestions on the Coursera course and also the instructions mentioned in the document https://developer.qualcomm.com/qfile/28828/lm80-p0436-2_sw-build-and-install_gd_linux_android_rev_d.pdf

But i have no luck whatsoever in getting the drivers installed. Could you help me understand how did you fix yours. Appreciate your help in advance. Thank you.

Yeah in that coursera tutorial video it is bad because they already updated their drivers and are going through the process but it doesn’t fully explain it for us. Robert said they were going to update that video, so I would contact him. Honestly for me it was just playing around with trail and error until it worked. Just track your actions and do thing that would make sense for you. If it doesn’t work just restore the settings. Sorry it’s been a while. But I think I wrote detailed instructions in the coursera course discussion board.

I read the discussions here and on the UCSD cousera IoT course discussion, but I found no answer.
Any process to resolve USB driver installation for Windows 10 (I tried disabling driver signing) ?

Hello all,

I have been trying everything to get the drivers to work on WIndows 10.
Disabled Driver signing verification
Disabled secure boot
set TESTSIGNING ON

But nothing really seems to work

@sdrobertw:
If you have the solution but you are having trouble to create a new video please just type the instructions here…

Thanks a lot in advance

I have been trying to follow the instructions to install the USB driver on Windows 10 here:

http://linaro.co/96b-androiduserguide

I downloaded the usb_driver from google and modified the android_winusb.inf file as specified. There’s a hash security on it that does not allow you to change that file and then install it. Is there another way to get the ADB USB driver onto my computer? I could not get this to work with my Windows 7 machine either.

Hi @afourteia and @avandeg, i had no luck whatsoever in getting the USB driver installed on my windows 7 machine even after trying out every suggestion mentioned on 96boards & coursera forum.

As a workaround for this problem i had to uninstall windows and install ubuntu on my system. This solution will definitely work as it does not require any drivers to be installed and requires less than 5 hours to do complete the entire thing.

Hi

I uploaded the adb USB driver for DragonBoard 410C.

adb usb driver windows DB410C

I hope this solves the problem.

Have you already install the driver successfully? I use the same instruction as yours but I stuck at the 1st and the 3rd step.For example, in the 3rd step, I totally don’t know set what path to include the directory c:\android-sdk-windows\tools, and I don’t even have such a directory.
Any help will be really appreciated!

Have you already install the driver successfully? I use the same instruction as yours but I stuck at the 1st and the 3rd step.For example, in the 3rd step, I totally don’t know set what path to include the directory c:\android-sdk-windows\tools, and I don’t even have such a directory.
Any help will be really appreciated!

Hi @breakin123,

I uploaded the instruction which worked for me.

http://www.96boards.org/forums/topic/step-by-step-instruction-to-install-adb-usb-driver-on-windows/

Thank you, Akira Tsukamoto, for posting clear and concise directions on how to install the adb usb driver for windows 10.

My only comment is that the hyperlink that you provided is incorrect; the text of the link points to the right place, but the hyperlink itself is invalid, being "step-by-step-instruction-to-install-adb-usb-driver-on-windows/

http://www.96boards.org/forums/topic/step-by-step-instruction-to-install-adb-usb-driver-on-windows/

Tom Kastan
Dundas, Minnesota
UCSD Class of 1985

Hi @tkastan,

Thank you for letting me know that my link was wrong.
I just fixed it.

I really appreciate your report. It help the people on the forum too.
:slight_smile:

I’ve solved this problem with your help and the driver worked perfectly. Thank you very much! @Akira Tsukamoto