Initial OrangePi i96 support landed in Mainline Linux Kernel

Hello Everyone,

I’m glad to say that the initial OrangePi i96 board support landed in Mainline Linux Kernel (5.0-rc1) with new RDA Micro SoC architecture. As of now, the board can enter initramfs shell with single Cortex A5 CPU.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b23b0ea3708c3dec599966fc856836aca48835b9

More update will come in upcoming days. Please stay tuned!

Thanks,
Mani

Thanks for good news.
Nice work!

Could you please provide some information, how to compile this kernel?
Which options to select in “menuconfig” or how to define RDA Micro architecture ?
Looking forward…
Would like to test new kernel as well maybe port SPI driver to get some type storage for system.

Hi,
Is there any news ?

I’m trying to compile mainline kernel with command :
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-
arm-linux-gnueabihf- version 7.3.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04) .
Yes, I select: RDA Micro SoC and RDA serial port and console config.
But have no output after “Starting kernel …”

Looking forward for update.
Tutorial to get kernel booting would be awesome !

@Pe3ucTop

I’m extremely sorry for the delay! TBH I completely missed your last forum post :frowning:

Anyway, in order to boot mainline kernel on i96, you need to issue below commands from u-boot:

setenv bootargs "earlycon initcall_debug console=ttyRDA2,921600n8 root=/dev/ram0"
fatload mmc 0:1 ${kernel_addr} zImage+dtb
fatload mmc 0:1 ${script_addr} rda8810pl-orangepi-i96.dtb
fatload mmc 0:1 ${initrd_addr} uInitrd
bootz ${kernel_addr} ${initrd_addr}:${filesize} ${script_addr}

For building zImage+dtb, you can use following command:

$ cat arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/dts/rda8810pl-orangepi-i96.dtb > zImage+dtb

Then, place the zImage+dtb, rda8810pl-orangepi-i96.dtb and uInitrd (a 32 bit initrd) in a FAT partition of the SD card and issue u-boot commands.

I will also try to add a guide in doc repo for this.

Thanks,
Mani

Thanks for reply,

I have a bit different config - files in NAND , files get loaded, but still silence from kernel.
BootArgs set as you mentioned, will try to boot from SDCard later today.

Thanks,
Finally got kernel booting, but 5.0-x , not clearly compiled 5.1-x , will dig dipper in differences in config.