Yocto - core-base-image + WIFI

Hi,

I built the core-base-image and there is no wifi interface (wlan0) when the board is running.
Can someone explain what should I do to add support of wifi in the core-base-image?

Thanks

hi,

can you please be more specific about how you are building? If you using our instructions from the wiki the output of ‘repo manifest -r’ would help (also let us know if you made any changes)

thanks

This is the recipe that I am building using bitbake (core-image-base.bb):

SUMMARY = "A console-only image that fully supports the target device \
hardware."

IMAGE_FEATURES += "splash"

LICENSE = "MIT"

inherit core-image

After I am flashing it to the dragonboard I don’t have wlan interface.

repo manifest -r output:

<manifest>
  <remote fetch="https://github.com" name="github"/>
  <remote fetch="http://git.linaro.org" name="linaro"/>
  <remote fetch="git://git.openembedded.org" name="oe"/>

<default remote="github" revision="jethro" sync-j="2"/>

<project name="96boards/meta-96boards" path="sources/meta-96boards" revision="
  <project name="96boards/meta-rpb" path="sources/meta-rpb" revision="203903ca6f
  <project name="linaro-home/meta-browser" path="sources/meta-browser" revision=
  <project name="ndechesne/meta-qcom" path="sources/meta-qcom" revision="b79ae39
  <project name="ndechesne/qcom-oe-setup" path="sources/conf" revision="1034d058
    <linkfile dest="setup-environment" src="setup-environment"/>
  </project>
  <project name="openembedded/bitbake" path="sources/openembedded-core/bitbake" 
  <project name="openembedded/meta-backports" path="sources/meta-backports" remo
  <project name="openembedded/meta-openembedded" path="sources/meta-openembedded
  <project name="openembedded/openembedded-core" path="sources/openembedded-core
</manifest>

hi,

a first comment: you seem to be using the ‘older’ initial manifest that I created to get started. We now have more ‘official’ OpenEmbedded images using what we call the OE Reference Platform Build (oe-rpb), the wiki page that you probably followed initially has been updated accordingly:

So I would recommend to switch over, just to make sure you are tracking what we are working on.

That said, for your specific issue, this is the expected behavior, the interface is not automatically started. Keep in mind that you are building a minimal system, unlike a full fledge ‘desktop’ (like we release based on Debian).

To check if the wlan interface exists, you can run:

$ ip link

and it should be visible, but DOWN.

To start it up:

$ ip link set wlan0 up

then you can check it is functional by scanning networks around you:

$ iw wlan0 scan