Which cases fit?

Hi there,

are there any cases which fit around the Dragonboard 410c??

You mean like a project box? Tons. Anything with inside measurements at least as large as the outside dimensions of the board.

Something like this:

If you say there are “tons”, can you post some links?

According to 96boards specifications, total height shall not exceed 12 mm (under 1/2"), with width and height being 85x54 mm (3.35x2.13 inch).

So now you go to amazon.com and search for “project box”, and look until you find one that exceeds 0.5x3.35x2.13 inches.

Like this one; http://www.amazon.com/105mm-Waterproof-Electrical-Project-Junction/dp/B011HIJBT4/ref=sr_1_26?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1440121041&sr=1-26&keywords=project+box

Or, keep looking until you find one you like better. Like I said, TONS of options.

That is exactly NOT what I am looking for…
As the picture above shows, I am looking for a case with fitting cutouts for the plugs and outlets. The project boxes you showed have none of that…

Well, then…

Good luck with that.

LOL.

I would also be interested in housings designed for the 410c with the proper cutouts like all of the ones available for the Raspberry Pi boards. I suspect since the device is new, and not very popular, there isn’t much demand to warrant a company mass producing them just yet.

We might need to look into designing and 3D printing one ourselves for now.

I’m really surprised by these messages. Were you people brought up to be afraid of knives, saws, and drills?

Buy a project box that is the right size that you like, drill a hole for the power jack, and cut a rectangle out with a utility knife or a saw for the HDMI and USB plugs.

This isn’t rocket science, its a piece of plastic with some holes in it.

Afraid? No. Lazy? Extremely. :slight_smile:

LOL, well at least you can be proud of your honesty :wink:

Perhaps this might help: I’m actually quite successfully using this Raspberry Pi enclosure for my own 410c:

This case is made up of several sandwiched layers, which meant that I could take a simple pair of scissors or wire cutters and selectively cut gaps into some of the layers in order to accommodate the different port arrangement of the 410c versus the RPi. Yes, I know that this requires some cutting–and then after doing this, I had to drill four small holes (you can find a great set of drill bits here: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-15557-Drill-10-Piece/dp/B000RH22WA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451419808&sr=8-3&keywords=small+drill+bit+set) into the base plate in order to actually secure the 410c within the case–but it only took me a few minutes total to assemble this. And in this case, rather than drilling holes to accommodate the ports, the only holes that you need to drill are the mounting holes for the board, which makes for a much easier drilling job. You could even drill it by hand (try searching Amazon for a “tap wrench”), if you don’t have a power drill (or if you’re in a quiet area and can’t run a power drill, say, in the middle of listening to a webinar) Hopefully this helps!

I too wish we had some pre-made cases available with proper cut-outs and there does seem to be 1 or 2 3d printed ones if you google it. The thing is these cases don’t take into consideration the casual user that’s going to use the 410c as an always-on media player or emulation/game station. Using it in this manner is going to require the proper cooling (to avoid throttling which minimizes fps drop and video stutter) and as mentioned in another thread explains how bottom mounted heatsink is the ONLY way since there’s shield with airgap on the top side of the board. So cases have to made to accommodate not just the 410c but the stand offs and heatsink that will be installed with it: http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079/

There has to be a kit that includes a pre-drilled heatsink, stand-offs, screws, and thermal pad. I already have all the pieces as suggested by one of your board members and just plan to run it caseless for now. The case (if someone decides to make one) should be built around this cooling solution. I understand this is development board but not having proper accessory support is a put-off for the casual user. We want to spark interest and make it easier for everyone including folks just learning about electronics to get started with a Dragonboard. I hope one day Dragonboard will have a comparable community, tutorial, and accessory support that the Raspberry Pi currently enjoys. I realize it’s not up to just one company but someone has to take the first step and kindle the fire to get things started. If I had the resources, I would make pre-drilled cooling kits with all necessary parts and make it available as a start (getting back an extra 400MHz is a big deal). Maybe that fans interest into one person that creates a case for it and in turn mass produces and sells that case for this cooling solution. Then it snowballs from there and sooner or later as Dragonboard user base grows, you have even more kits, compatible hardware, and easy to follow tutorials written for it.