What does Active Buffer Mismatch message mean?

Hi. I am seeing the message Active Buffer Mismatch in the debug console on a custom board with a snapdragon 820c. This message is coming from vfe_isr_wm_done function in camss-vfe.c. I just want to know the meaning of the message.
Thanks,
Kim

That means there is a problem in the double-buffering (ping-pong) during frame acquisition, because the driver expects that the new active buffer (the one currently filled by the hardware) is different from the previous one. I this is not the case, there is no switch between the ping and pong buffers, which is a problem… maybe there is a lack of buffers, or it’s happen at a certain moment during acquisition (start, stop)?

Can you add the custom board tag, thanks.

Hi Loic,
I see the message when I am switching from displaying a 1080p camera to displaying a 4k camera to some display. I only see the message one time when I switch cameras. This sound like it is your first explanation: “new active buffer is different from previous”. Do you mean the size of the buffer? Is this something I should be worried about in this case?
Thanks,
Kim

I suppose there is a lack of buffer at some point during the transition, causing this message. I don’t think you need to worry about this, except if the stream gets stuck after the transition.

2 Likes

Hi Loic,
Thank you for the explanation!
Kim