Vendor.img not getting generated

Hi @niruyadla @leo-yan

I did a repo init to branch android-9.0.0_r45 and did repo sync and followed these steps to build the images with kernel version 4.9.

repo init -u platform/manifest - Git at Google -b android-9.0.0_r45
repo sync -j24
source ./build/envsetup.sh
lunch hikey960-userdebug
make TARGET_KERNEL_USE=4.9 -j32

build Android kernel
cd ${AOSP_DIR}
git clone kernel/hikey-linaro - Git at Google
cd hikey-linaro
git checkout -b android-hikey-linaro-4.9 origin/android-hikey-linaro-4.9

make ARCH=arm64 hikey960_defconfig
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-android- -j24

cp ${AOSP_DIR}/hikey-linaro/arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3660-hikey960.dtb ${AOSP_DIR}/device/linaro/hikey-kernel/hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.9
cp ${AOSP_DIR}/hikey-linaro/arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz-dtb ${AOSP_DIR}/device/linaro/hikey-kernel/Image.gz-dtb-hikey960-4.9

cd ${AOSP_DIR}
source ./build/envsetup.sh
lunch hikey960-userdebug
make TARGET_KERNEL_USE=4.9 -j32

But after building, vendor.img is not getting generated.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

If kernel 4.14 and kernel 4.19 can generate vendor.img, and 4.9 kernel cannot generate verdor.img, I personally think now 4.9 kernel is out-of-date and it’s removed from the AOSP so cannot generate vendor.img.

@jstultz, could you help confirm for this?

The hikey960 is not supported by release branches of AOSP. Use master.

As @doitright mentioned, we only support hikey960 against AOSP/master.

Thank you all for your responses ! Will check it out.

Hi @leo-yan, @doitright ,
I did repo init to master and synced. Now I’m able to generate vendor.img successfully.
But if I try to run adb commands (especially adb root/remount command) the board gets hang/crashes automatically.
Got any solution to this ?
Thanks.

I’m not using any kernel but have flashed the default images.

Hi @Aleena,

As I know, the prebuilt boot image in AOSP master with kernel 4.19 has issue for adb. You should use the latest kernel code base to build kernel/dtb, and then copy related images into AOSP and build boot.img, this can fix the USB/ADB issue.

Please see detailed steps in Using Reference Boards  |  Android Open Source Project.