What you need:
Step by step procedure:
(Do not connect your AC adapter yet.)
* Connect the USB serial adapter or the Mezzanine to the 96Boards.
Please, please make sure you have not inserted the adapter misaligned on the LS connector.
It will destroy the both USB serial adapter and the 96Boards later when you power on.
I know this because I have done this mistake!
* Connect the MicroUSB cable between your PC and the microUSB connecto on the USB serial adapter or the Mezzanine.
* Check your 96Boards is not on top of conductive surface.
For example, MacBook Air has aluminum surface which will short the circuit and damage the 96Boards.
* Open serial terminal application on your PC.
The Linux PC has “minicom”.
On Windows PC, putty or teraterm are well known. Choose any terminal program.
* Configure the serial port protocol.
baud rates 11520
Software flow: ON
Hardware flow: OFF
If the Hardware flow is on, it will hang your screen.
This is the command line if you are using minicom.
sudo minicom -b 115200 -o -D /dev/ttyUSB0
To turn hardware flow off, change the setting by typing on minicom.
Ctrl-A -> Z, -> O [Configure Minicom] -> Serial Port Setup -> Options F
* Plug your AC adapter and DC plug converter to 96Boards.
You will see no LED on the 96Boards but do not panic.
You should able to see the power on LED on the USB adapter or the Mezzanine.
The boot screen should be showing on your serial console screen.
* Have fun.
* For having more fun, please refer to documentation.