Openssl support on 410c

Hello,
Is Openssl supported on 410c’s 17.06 release?

Cheers,
Sundeep

yes…

root@linaro-developer:~# openssl
OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 1.1.0f 25 May 2017

Thanks and that confirms the presence. But can it provide cryptographic functionality to applications?

Cheers,
Sundeep

Sure, the libraries are present (libssl, libcrypto…)

Is this the Debian build?

I’m using the Debian build and I see the libraries but I don’t have openSSL available on the command line.

Also, my command prompt is either:
root@linaro-installer for the serial port, or:
linaro@linaro-installer: for the HDMI display.

So you should be able to install it with apt.
The developer image comes with openSSL.

Thanks Loic.

I stumbled upon this last night - based on the documentation I didn’t realize there was any difference between developer and install version except flashing the eMMC.

Is this documented somewhere?
Thanks!

Oh ok, I see:

The install version is just a kind of bootstrap to install an image, this is not the final OS.

There are several ways to install debian:

SD Card Method - Install and boot from eMMC
SD Card Method - Install and boot from SD Card
Fastboot Method - Install with fastboot and boot from eMMC

https://github.com/96boards/documentation/tree/master/ConsumerEdition/DragonBoard-410c/Installation

Install-version embeds a graphical installer which usually flashes the final OS on the emmc.
After flashing you need to reboot on the emmc and your system will be complete and operational.
The install system retrieves images from the OS partition and writes them on the emmc according to the partition table (partitions.txt).

hi,

i am not sure i understand your last question. Let me try to provide a few details.

This is from the release notes:

==
The following images are released:

• boot image that includes prebuilt kernel and initrd
  • developer image that includes core packages as well as typical development packages (headless)
  • alip image that includes a minimal desktop environment GUI using LXQt
    ==

Then the ‘installer’ is a specific SD card image that we build to make it ‘simpler’ to install an OS on a new board, and it reformats the entire eMMC and install the OS. We have an ‘installer’ image only for the alip image.

We also have (it is recent) an SD card image to boot from SD card, without installing into eMMC. And for this one we only make a ‘developer’ SD boot image.

If the question was about the differences between the content of the developer and the alip image, then there is no specific doc, but here is the list of packages we install in both cases:

https://git.linaro.org/ci/ubuntu-build-service.git/tree/stretch-arm64-developer/customization/package-lists/linaro.list.chroot
https://git.linaro.org/ci/ubuntu-build-service.git/tree/stretch-arm64-alip/customization/package-lists/linaro.list.chroot

Thanks Nicholas.

I was referring to this page:
https://github.com/96boards/documentation/tree/master/ConsumerEdition/DragonBoard-410c/Installation
and the difference between (1) SD Card Method - Install and boot from eMMC and (2) SD Card Method - Install and boot from SD Card is not readily apparent. Maybe add a note such as “There are also difference in the packages installed with each option, Refer to the release notes for details.” I probably read the release notes too quickly and I didn’t spot it.

in this first section, we mostly describe the 2 different processes (SD install vs SD boot). At this stage , I don’t think it makes sense to talk about pre-installed packages, because we are not talking about actual images, but just the boot/install process. e.g. there could be many SD install images, or SD boot images.

in the section later with more instructions to use the SD boot image, just before you get to downloads, we have a note that says:

==
Note that this installation option only installs a “developer image,” i.e. command line only with no desktop installed. A user would have to install a desktop post-install if that is desired.

Do you still think we need more clarification?

Perhaps we should change the docs to reverse the default and pick the richer image by default. I don’t think we have other 96Boards where choice of installation method changes the recommended install image. In any case I view the developer image as being for more advanced users who plan to customise things. The first “customisation” they might want to select is to choose which image to install.

A little more clarification right at the top might be in order. In the RPi world everything runs off the SDCard, so RPI users migrating to 410c might think it is normal to put an image onto the SDCard and run that image. In the 96Boards world we normally only use the SDCard as a ‘sneaker-net’ type device to copy the operating system code onto the build-in eMMC. Once the code is loaded onto the eMMC we reboot and run everything from the eMMC and the SDCard is no longer required.

The latest introduction of a standalone image that runs completely from the SDCard has only been available for the last month or two, but I think this may be the root of Sundeep’s problem, he was thinking like a RPi user and assuming the image in the SDCard should have everything on it.

Thanks! In fact the topic digressed a bit and my interest was whether I can add cryptographic functionality to applications despite TrustZone access not available.