MediaTek-X20 board usb camera not working

Hi,

Yesterday we received MediaTek-x20 development board. On booting its showing Android 6.0.
But when we are connecting USB camera, native camera app gives camera error - Cannot connect to camera service.
Is anybody else also had this issue? Do we need to change any configuration or switch to consider USB camera instead of MIPI camera?

Thanks,
Shailesh

Hi,

1.You should ensure the USB camera support the UVC(USB video class) protocol.
2.You can use the third party app to open the camera.

Thanks.

Hi Ekko,

Yes camera supports UVC and it works perfectly with other board like odroid, cubieboard using V4L2.
With third party app now I can see this USB camera is working with Mediatek board but doesn’t work directly with default camera application.
Is there any configuration changes that need to be done in Linux kernel or it can be done simply through AOSP?
I guess third party apps are accessing camera at driver level using jni.

Please provide more input on how to do, as many people might be having this basic issue.

Thanks,
Shailesh

Hi Shailesh,

The USB camera  was identified as a node for Linux system  using V4L2. However, the default camera application can only use the preview architecture provided by android, so it can't support the USB camera. 

in order to make the default camera application use the USB camera, you should retrieve data by using the linux node and assimilate into the preview architecture. I think the workload is to great. If it is not necessary, you can use the third party app as far as possible.

Thanks

Hi Ekko,

Now I am planning to order MIPI CSI camera and interface with SBC, but I am not sure whether this will work or not.When I check device folder after merging SLA folder into aosp, I can not see relevant camera source in ‘amt’ or ‘mediatek’ folder. But it is present in other default devices like htc, lge, moto, asus, google etc. I don’t think these will be used by os for this board.

Another thing is camera module I am ordering is OV5640 based but when I looked into kernel source for this board, its having driver for OV5642. This means I will need to again write drivers for OV5640 and recompile kernel source. I am really doubtful whether my camera module will work or not out of the box, or how much complicated things I need to do to get it work. Even there is no documentation or blog mentioning camera interface.

Has anybody ever tried camera interface on Mediatek X20 dev board running android OS?

Thanks,
Shailesh

Hi Shailesh,

Please refer to Camera Porting Guide – Alpha-Star.

Thanks
Ekko