Interfacing with Arduino Port Problems (avrdude)


#1

I plugged in my Arduino Uno on all the ports and I’ve reinstalled arduino a couple times and I keep on having this issue.

When I run
tail -f /var/log/messages

and plug in my Arduino Uno R3 I get the following output:
cdc_acm 1-1.1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Unfortunately, when I go to Serial Port under Tools on the Arduino IDE (which I downloaded today, the arm version for my arm processor) I have the option to select /dev/tty96B0 and it doesn’t connect with my Arduino.

I am running a DragonBoard 410c as my host and I’ve made sure the cable and Arduino work by plugging it into my laptop and being able to upload and compile just fine (I’m running it on my DragonBoard for other various reasons)

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!


#2

I see the following when I fire up the Arduino IDE:

linaro-alip$ arduino
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/tty96B0
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

Basically the default image is shipping with an environment variable set to allow the IDE to work with the 96boards-sensors mezzanine… and it looks like this is disrupting usage with real Arduino boards.

I’m afraid I don’t have an Uno to test with, but perhaps try one of the following options from a terminal emulator.

Removing the special configuration option:

linaro-alip$ unset JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS
linaro-alip$ arduino

Overriding the special configuration option:

linaro-alip$ JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS=-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0 arduino

#3

Currently I found linking the ports to be a solution (probably a more temporary solution)
Like this:
sudo ln -sf /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/tty96B0
I will try your solution once I get everything setup.


#4

Hi @dantuluri

I was at a Hackathon at University of Toronto a couple of weeks ago and one of the teams had exactly the problem you are describing. As a quick hack, we just over rode the JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS in the .bashrc, this worked ‘good enough’ to get the hack up and running with an Arduino plugged onto the USB port.

Your solution of linking the serial port looks like a quick and easy work around and I like it better than my workaround of changing the JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS.

I think we need to do a little more work, a proper solution would have both ports show up in the Arduino IDE and allow you to select, unfortunately I personally don’t know enough about the Arduino software to point you to a proper long therm solution.

Can you submit a bug report about this to bugs.96boards.org please. This way we can track the problem and eventually implement a proper solution.

Full disclosure: I am an employee of Qualcomm Canada, any opinions I have expressed in this or any other post may not reflect the opinions of my employer.


#5


Just sent it.