Hikey960 AOSP kernel build

I’m new Hikey 960 user and do not know if this would work OK for me to build the newest AOSP and kernel from AOSP website:

git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/hikey-linaro
cd hikey-linaro
git checkout -b android-hikey-linaro-4.9 origin/android-hikey-linaro-4.9
make ARCH=arm64 hikey960_defconfig
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-android- -j24
cp arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3660-hikey960.dtb ./hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.9
cp arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz-dtb ./Image.gz-dtb-hikey960-4.9
bootimage -j24

but make bootimage -j24 make me confused when it pop up to select many options

I find script but the para in build command below is still --os_version 7.0 --os_patch_level 2016-08-05, not sure if this need to modified to suit for the newest AOSP+Hikey kernel

./mkbootimg  --kernel Image.gz --ramdisk ${RAMDISK_IMG} --cmdline "loglevel=15 androidboot.hardware=hikey960 androidboot.selinux=permissive firmware_class.path=/system/etc/firmware" --base 0x0 --tags-addr 0x07A00000 --kernel_offset 0x00080000 --ramdisk_offset 0x07c00000 --os_version 7.0 --os_patch_level 2016-08-05  --output ${PRODUCT_OUT}/boot.img
./mkdtimg -d hi3660-hikey960.dtb -s 2048 -c -o ${PRODUCT_OUT}/dt.img

echo "dt.img boot.img build finished!"

Any advice on the AOSP kernel build ?

Have you executed below commands for Android environment preparation?

. ./build/envsetup.sh
lunch hikey960-userdebug

@leo-yan thanks for your attention! Yes I run the command you attached , the build dir is like below. you mean the build command from rootdir should have build kernel and AOSP together?

~/code/AOSP$ tree -L 1
    |-- Android.bp -> build/soong/root.bp
    |-- art
    |-- bionic
    |-- bootable
    |-- bootstrap.bash -> build/soong/bootstrap.bash
    |-- build
    |-- compatibility
    |-- cts
    |-- dalvik
    |-- developers
    |-- development
    |-- device
    |-- external
    |-- frameworks
    |-- hardware
    |-- hikey-linaro <<<< put hikey linaro here
    |-- kernel
    |-- libcore
    |-- libnativehelper
    |-- Makefile
    |-- out
    |-- packages
    |-- pdk
    |-- platform_testing
    |-- prebuilts
    |-- sdk
    |-- sonar-project.properties
    |-- system
    |-- test
    |-- toolchain
    `-- tools

Yes, should execute command “make bootimage -j24” from AOSP root directory.

@leo-yan I followed your instruction, it get boot.img ramdisk.img in out/target/product/hikey960 no dt is generated

[100% 9216/9216] Target boot image: out/target/product/hikey960/boot.img

#### build completed successfully (04:48 (mm:ss)) ####

but when I moved hikey-linaro(kernel code) away from AOSP root, the boot.img ramdisk.img could generate again, that’s seem not trigger the kernel code I download to build.

We should expect dt.img is generated in the folder: $AOSP_ROOT/out/target/product/hikey960; could you check if hi3660-hikey960.dtb has been copied into the folder: $AOSP_ROOT/device/linaro/hikey-kernel/hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.9?

I think so. :slight_smile:

From my understanding, the Linux kernel (Image/dtb) building and Android building are individual, you need manually to copy hi3660-hikey960.dtb/Image into Android folder $AOSP_ROOT/device/linaro/hikey-kernel and with command “make bootimage -j24” you should can see boot.img & dt.img in the folder $AOSP_ROOT/out/target/product/hikey960/.

Please note, ramdisk.img is generated by AOSP repository, it’s not derived from Linux kernel.

Yes I checked $AOSP_ROOT/device/linaro/hikey-kernel , seems AOSP already got this file in it(not auto copy from kernel src)

hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.4  hi6220-hikey.dtb-3.18  hi6220-hikey.dtb-4.4  Image.gz-dtb-3.18  Image.gz-dtb-4.4  Image.gz-dtb-hikey960-4.4
hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.9  hi6220-hikey.dtb-4.14  hi6220-hikey.dtb-4.9  Image.gz-dtb-4.14  Image.gz-dtb-4.9  Image.gz-dtb-hikey960-4.9

The boot.img generated from make bootimage -j24 is not from the code need build and copy by hand

So if i want to build kernel image using my own src, should follow steps:

1. checkout hikey-linaro in $AOSP_ROOT
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/hikey-linaro
cd hikey-linaro
git checkout -b android-hikey-linaro-4.9 origin/android-hikey-linaro-4.9
  1. build kernel in hikey-linaro with:
make ARCH=arm64 hikey960_defconfig
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-android- -j24
  1. copy new generated files to AOSP related path to update the default ones
cp $AOSP_ROOT/hikey-linaro/arch/arm64/boot/dts/hisilicon/hi3660-hikey960.dtb $AOSP_ROOT/device/linaro/hikey-kernel/hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.9
cp $AOSP_ROOT/hikey-linaro/arch/arm64/boot/Image.gz-dtb $AOSP_ROOT/Image.gz-dtb-hikey960-4.9
  1. make a full AOSP build and generate kernel image
cd $AOSP_ROOT
source ./build/envsetup.sh
lunch hikey960-userdebug
make -j24
make bootimage -j24
  1. if no kernel code is modified , just run step4 to use the default kernel

Any instructions on switch kernel version e.g. using 4.14 kernel instead of 4.9?

I don’t know, might @jstultz @Loic @vchong can help for this.

The selected kernel is defined by TARGET_KERNEL_USE build variable:
cf:
device/linaro/hikey/hikey960.mk
device/linaro/hikey/hikey-common.mk

I assume you build kernel from origin/android-hikey-linaro-4.14 branch and change the TARGET_KERNEL_USE value to 4.14 in order use device/linaro/hikey-kernel/Image-dtb-4.14 and device/linaro/hikey-kernel/hi3660-hikey960.dtb-4.14. Now, I don’t know the compatibility status with AOSP userspace.

Loic is right here. The easiest way to build a different kernel version is to build with:

$ make TARGET_KERNEL_USE=4.14 -j

But also be aware, the 4.14 support for hikey960 is in-progress (I think the first kernel pre-built landed yesterday) and performance still needs work - which is why its not the default kernel yet.