G_hid module error on loading

Hi

Just trying to emulate the board to be recognized as a Keyboard. Everything seemed ok, just took the example of the g_hid, changed hid.c to have the descriptor, kernel compiled (Linaro OS). I noticed that I need first to load libcomposite.ko. When I start the module g_hid with insmod I get the error: g_hid ci_hdrc.0: failed to start g_hid: -2
Any help would be appreciated

Paulo Moreira

I suggest you to read the documentation: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/gadget_hid.txt
USB HID gadget driver is a platform driver, requesting definition of a platform device.

You can also try using the ‘new’ hid function driver (configfs), there are some examples on the web: https://github.com/qlyoung/keyboard-gadget

Hi

Thanks for the support, I have everything done before in this example, hid.c with the right code, g_hid.ko and usb_f.hid.ko on the right places, modules.dep configured and depmod to make modules.dep in .bin, but loading the g_hid driver it gives always error on the kernel :frowning:
I’ll try the configfs. Thank you Loic

Paulo Moreira

Hi all once again

After further investigation on the g_hid module crashes, I arrived at the kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/udc/core.c, the concerned function is udc_bind_to_driver. After putting several printk(KERN_ALERT “DEBUG: Passed %s %d \n”,FUNCTION,LINE); I noticed that the line “ret = driver->bind(udc->gadget, driver);” is the one that crashes. With the module g_ether that uses the same function also to bind the gadget everything is ok.
Anyone has solved this problem ?

Thank you
Paulo Moreira

Ok, so continuing my investigation, after several debugs I fall in the line:

status = usb_add_config(cdev, &config_driver, do_config);

This line is inside hid.c
So after several debugs inside I saw that in the function do_config the following line crashes:

status = usb_add_function(c, e->f);

I didn’t change the code of hid.c I just added the keyboard desccriptors and the register of the device as on the examples around internet.
Any help around ?

Thank you in advance
Paulo Moreira

So, where in that function crash happens. usb_add_function is supposed to call back your function (hid) bind method (hid_bind).

Hi Loic

Yes, the problem is that I’m just using a desccriptor to emulate a HID Keyboard, this is the example that we find in internet. I don’t understand why the driver cant be load. The g_ether works good, and it uses the same lib (libccomposite) that’s why at the beginning I thought it could be something related on hid.c. It’s strange that we couldn’t find anyone with a solution, or the example that I found it’s not suitable for this hardware, I don’t know…

Paulo Moreira

Tried also the hid keyboard example using configfs. Exactly the same error I got when used as a module g_hid :frowning:

I’ll try and let you know…

Thank you so much Loic.
Just for info, I use Linaro 17.09 and kernel 4.9.56.
Tried before with 17.06.1 and kernel 4.9.39

Regards
Paulo Moreira

Hi Loic

I solved it, in fact there is some problems in file f_hid.c :frowning:
I got to make the board to be recognizable as a keyboard.

Thank you
Paulo Moreira

• Good news, If you think this you applied a reasonable fix maybe it would be good to share or/and upstream it.

Sure

Just got this patch on this page for Raspberry, it worked, no more crashes starting g_hid module.

Regards
Paulo Moreira

1 Like

Well, now I have other problem, my hid device only is recognized by the host if they are already connected before via USB before starting the g_hid module. If I disconnect them and connected after, the host won’t recognize the device. Anyway, in the devicce side, the module continues active and no errors are reported…

It was due to have the switch between host and device, just disabling the host side solved the problem.

btw, I think you should be able to force a particular mode in the Device tree (arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/apq8016-sbc.dtsi).

usb@78d9000 {
    dr_mode = "device";
}
1 Like