CRYPTO ENGINE IN HIKEY 96 boards

Hi All,

Can someone please guide me on if there are any inbuilt Hardware Crypto Engine available on Hikey 96 boards ?
If yes, then where can I find the information related to its driver specs or data sheet ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,
Arnab

Hi Arnab,

There is but the spec is not open to the public, not even linaro generally.

Sorry.

I guessed so as all my searches in net ended up with nothing. :slight_smile:
Thank you very much for the info.

You’re welcome.
Is there anything you need or are looking for in particular?

I am looking for the APIs exposed by crypto driver on Hikey to write apps wrt secure content encryption/decryption. I am also looking if there are any APIs available for any kind of trusted Storage as provided by some vendors for the same purpose.
I am aware of the ARM Trustzone Framework support on software side. I Was wondering on how do I use the Crypto Hw functionality of Hikey with my apps.

In that case, you can refer to a set of standard APIs offered by GlobalPlatform (GP). This is supported on HiKey via OP-TEE, Linaro’s Trusted OS running on ‘top’ of ARM Trusted Firmware (Trustzone Framework) and included by default in the HiKey releases.

References:
GP specs

• You’ll want to look at TEE Client API Specification and TEE Internal Core API Specification

OP-TEE

ARM Trusted Firmware

Please note that there are currently some caveats with using secure storage on HiKey OP-TEE due to hardware limitations. If you will eventually port your work to your own platform, you have to do a bit of extra work to allow it to operate fully securely. See here for details.

Thanks a ton for the guidance ! :slight_smile:

Have one more query though :slight_smile: ,

Is the current OP-TEE running on Hikey releases using the Hardware Crypto Engine of the Hikey board ?

No. It’s software based. As mentioned above, the hw crypto spec is not even available to linaro generally.

OK. Got it. Thanks again.