Cannot create hotspot with ubuntu core on DragonBoard410c

I am trying to create a hotspot using the dragonboard 410c with ubuntu core.

However, the network manager acts wierd with the dragonboard.

~$ nmcli d
DEVICE  TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION 
wlan0   wifi      unavailable  --         
eth0    ethernet  unmanaged    --         
sit0    iptunnel  unmanaged    --         
lo      loopback  unmanaged    --

Why is the wlan0 unavailable eventhough I am connected through ssh?

Thanks,

In which role the dragonboard is here ? AP or client ?
nmcli uses wpa_supplicant dbus interface to manage wlan, if you already run wpa_supplicant manually with an other interface (wpacli socket…) network manager will be unable to manage wlan0. How did you connect your dragonboard ?

@Loic

I want to use it as a AP

The network was configured when booting the ubuntu core for the first time with the HDMI screen.

How can I reconfigure in order to use it with nmcli?

Thank you for the reply.

Is Ubuntu core a requirement for you ? I suppose this is based on old dragonboard support (could you pleae run uname -a). There is ‘official’ debian image at https://releases.linaro.org/96boards/dragonboard410c/linaro/debian/latest/ which includes latest fixes and support AP mode.

(https://docs.ubuntu.com/core/en/stacks/network/network-manager/docs/installation)

Unfortunately, using Ubuntu core is a requirement.

uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.4.0-1087-snapdragon #92-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 13 10:27:47 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Is there a way to check which process is running wpa_supplicant?

As you referred the network manager snap on the end of your response,
I was initially trying to use the wifi-ap snap to configure a AP on the dragon board.

it is very important (read: critical) to make sure that ubuntu core images are sync’d up with our latest kernel. as Loic said , a large amount of WLAN (and BT) fixes have been done in the last few months, and we won’t be able to support an old kernel. I would recommend to report that to Canonical, they usually work with us for the kernel.

@anon91830841 I have used the prebuilt ubuntu core image

Can you point me out some pointers on where to check the latest kernel versions?

Thanks,

Update:

I have managed to get the network-manager snap to connect to the devices.

Following this post, It seems that the default renderer is systemd-networkd rather than network manager. Therefore, the renderer should be configured in

/etc/netplan/00-snapd-config.yaml

as written here

@anon91830841 @Loic Thank you for helping out