Can I enable camera for Dragonboard 845c (yocto )?

Some downstream drivers are reworked/polished in order to be upstreamed in Linux mainline (4.9 is three years old). Moreover, some rely on proprietary userspace libs/daemons (e.g. to control camera, ISP), ideally, we would like to adopt standard Linux UAPI interfaces (e.g. V4L2 for video).

Thanks, could you give me an estimation about when the work can be released? Such as whether this version could be released by December?

And does current provided firmware contains CSI or all the part of CSI related is not relased?

hi,

there is currently no ‘firm’ plan to release any camera software for DB845c, on the Linaro release (and upstream kernel). We are just starting to look into what can be done. Most likely nothing will be available by December. Note that the very first step will be to add support for CSI drivers so that we can retrieve data from sensors. in other words without ISP support. which would give RAW data only from Bayer sensors.

As mentioned above , a lot of the camera software is in user space and proprietary, and we want to investigate how to get Qualcomm proprietary pieces into the libcamera project, but that’s quite a bit of work ahead.

Hello ndec,

May I ask if there is any update regarding CSI camera support on DB845c? Many thanks.

hey,

we have some very early patches for the CSI driver and some onboard sensors. However the whole pipeline is not working correctly at the moment.

What sensor/camera are you planning to use?

Hello ndec, thank you for the reply. We plan to use our own camera module eventually, which has ar0521 sensor. However, we would like to test whatever sensors you have tested as a starting point. We do need a pipeline from camss to h265 encoder then to wifi module though. Do you have a rough estimation regarding when the csi driver and pipeline will be ready? Many thanks.

Hey @Keeler,

The db845c ships with two camera that have upstream drivers, the ov7251 and the ov8856. The current upstream drivers for them only support 10-bit raw bayer output.

The CAMSS CSI driver is coming along, it is able to do some 8-bit RAW capture now, however 10bit capture is broken. I would consider it to be in heavy development at the moment.

As for the h265 encoder, @anon91830841 maybe you’re more familiar with that part?

Thank you @robertfoss, Both ov7251 and ov8856 output raw bayer format. If I understand correctly h265 encoder only accepts NV12 format? The camera module we will use will output UYVY422 format and camss can convert it to nv12. I wonder if the camss part is working?

you are right, that the 2 onboard sensors will output RAW bayer, and we won’t have ISP support. We are using these sensors to develop/test the CSI pipeline at least.

For the camera + video record use case, we would indeed need to convert UYVY into NV12, at this point we don’t have hardware to test this use case. The camera sensor that you mention, is that something you would be able to share with us?

Hello ndec, Thank you for the explanation. What do you mean by sharing the sensor with you?

Would you be able to send us a sample so that we can try it out ourselves?

@anon91830841,

YUV422 8/10-bit,Legacy YUV420 8-bit are supported.
In 20.07 debian release csi is not supported. if you could please share the camera-development src, would be helpful to test the CSI interface.

regards,
vinaysimha

what do you mean here?

CSI support video formats:
CSC/DSC disabled: RGB565/666/888, YUV422 8/10-bit, Legacy YUV420 8-bit

hi Vinay!

can you please describe your hardware/board and sensor config? If you have 845+YUV sensor, that would indeed be quite interesting… We’ve finally been able to capture proper images using the ov8856, earlier this week… the frames are raw images, of course, but we would need some help to test with YUV sensors.

nico,

sda845 + LT6911UX(HDMI2CSI). If camera pipeline is up , planning to have 20.07 debian release.

Is it possible to share the git src of camera dev to try the hdmi2csi.

regards,
vinaysimha

Hey Vinay,

I’m hoping to have some very rough, but functional code to share next week.

Hello ndec,
May I know if there is support for Panasonic’s mn 34906 ToF camera on db845 (interface - MIPI CSI2)?

Hey PowerRanger,

As far as I know, there is no upstream driver for that sensor. But as a rule of thumb, the ISP is able to output whatever format the sensor puts on the CSI bus.

Thanks Robert,
Can you please tell me how to get it working with the ISP and CSI bus? Can you direct me to any resources?