ARCore on Hikey960?

Hello,

Would it be possible to implement ARCore on the Hikey960 (with the neonkey mezzanine)? Is the challenge developing calibration for the ARcore & the neonkey, or is it “just” a matter of compiling ARCore for the Hikey960?

As an aside, I am a little at sea with how the build, etc. actually works (I know Python & C; dabbled with LFS / Gentoo) and would appreciate any pointers to guides / books that can walk me through HOW the parts of the Android OS fit together, interact, etc. I took a stab at reading the developer docs for android, but walked away completely disoriented.

Thank you!

Neonkey is already supported in AOSP. @ric96 used this for some simple
VR demos. However I’m not sure what, if anything, extra would need to be
done to exploit the sensors from ARCore.

arcore should work, just needs camera support

thanks @danielt! I’ve got the neonkey working on base android (sensorbox works!), so now it is “just” a matter of getting AR Core to work.

@ric96 Sahaj, off topic, but I really found your video on how to install / setup the board very very useful; so thank you for making that video!

For camera support, can I try with regular USB cameras (which are working on the board), or will I need to do something else?

In terms of installing AR Core, I know that it currently works only on compatible devices (for instance, doesn’t work on One Plus 5T, but does work on One Plus 5), and the Hikey960 board is not listed as a compatible device. So should I just install the ARCore services & see how it goes, or is there a way I can make the board “compatible” with AR core?

Again, thank you so much for your time! :slight_smile:

Like I mentioned before, I’m rather lost here, so not even sure if I’m asking the correct questions!

I’m desperate for an answer to this one. Were you ever able to get ARCore working on the HiKey 960? If so, could you share how?

We have VR working, but ARCore needs Camera support which is missing.

I have a small USB camera that I can use with the board and clip it on the end, would it be possible to incorporate it in such a way that I could use ARCore? It doesnt need to work perfectly but right now im just trying to get the “This Device Does Not Support AR” message to go away on the sample apps. Any idea how to get around that?

any camera would be fine, as long as you have a HAL that supports it.

The camera works but the “This Device Does Not Support AR” toast remains.

Can you share your usb camera implementation?

It’s a pretty crummy HAVIT HV-N5086 webcam that I just plugged into the USB port of the Hikey960 and now I want to use it for gesture recognition using ARCore. I do not know what I am doing or how to even begin. I figured this wouldnt need the sensors since its just detecting motion within the current frame and doesnt even require the camera move. But I cant even begin to try it because of the unsupported hardware popup.

I think there is a breakdown in communication. I mentioned that you need a working HAL for your camera, then you said the camera was working, so the natural assumption is that you have a HAL that works correctly with a standard v4l2 camera. @ric96 was asking if you would be able to share the source code for your v4l2 camera HAL, which is needed in order for the camera to work in Android.

So when you say that the camera “works”, can you describe precisely what you mean by that? Because if it works on a different computer, or only using command line tools like ffmpeg, then that would not meet the requirements within Android by a long shot.

1 Like