Android R for Hikey960

Hi,
Can you please help with below questions

1. Is Android R availbale for Hikey960? If yes, are there any prebuilt images available?
  2. Does Android R mandate to use kernel 5.4?
  3. Is 5.4 kernel available for Hikey960? If yes, please provide the steps to checkout and build 5.4 kernel.

Thanks,
Shankar

Hikey960 is an AOSP reference board and is only supported for AOSP master branch.

Users are sometimes able to get the board to work on release branches by backporting any required fixes from the AOSP master branch but this does not happen automatically. However at the time of writing I don’t think there is a public release branch for Android 11, it is still only available as a developer preview for the Pixel devices.

I’ve read a couple of times that hikey is only supported on the public master branch. Is this community knowledge or documented somewhere in more detail? Also, who is doing it, is it done internally at Google or provided by this community? Thanks

The support is provided predominantly by people at Linaro, who own this forum, as well as people at Google. @danielt directly above you works for Linaro, you can consider his words authoritative.

1 Like

I’ve read a couple of times that hikey is only supported on the public master branch. Is this community knowledge or documented somewhere in more detail? Thanks

Depends what you mean by “documented in more detail”. As far as I know the only
documentation about AOSP on hikey960 on the 96Boards and AOSP websites
is documentation that describes how to build AOSP master.

The support is provided predominantly by people at Linaro, who own
this forum, as well as people at Google. @danielt directly above you
works for Linaro, you can consider his words authoritative.

Depends what you mean by “authoritative”… I do my best and I hope my
words can usually be considered to be “well informed” but, when all is
said and done I’m just an engineer, I don’t generally have the
authority to speak on behalf of Linaro.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, totally new to the Hikey community so this is very useful info.

1 Like