96boards SOM specification?

While browsing the web for System On Modules (SOM), I bumped into this:

I think it would be great to have a 96boards SOM that has a 96boards CE/Extended motherboard so we could gradually shrink our prototypes. Is there any news on this specification?

Until then, which of the current major SOM vendors (Inforce, Intrinsyc, eInfochips, Variscite, Toradex etc.) provide the best upgrade path from using 96boards SBCs in your opinion?

Not yet.

I can’t really offer any opinion on this although I doubt “best” would be decided on technical factors anyway. I would expect non-technical factors ($$$, longevity guarantees, support) to dominate the selection process.

Thanks. Looking at the best supported 96boards SBC’s, a SOM using Snapdragon 410/820 or Kirin (non existent AFAIK) would make most sense, although I like the Cortex A+M approach offered by NXP parts.

Then, size is obviously a big deal for us, otherwise we would stay with 96boards SBCs. So that kind of drops the SOMs that go into these DDR sockets. Price is not a huge deal, although it would be nice to find a SOM that is pin compatible between low and high cost versions. Longevity is not important to us, board support for recent versions of Android is.

Hi, Genoil

Product Manager from Vamrs here. We are working on the SoM with rk3399 and up coming rk3399pro now. We would like to learn more about your requirement for the SoC and interfaces. If it’s not proper post publicly, you can send me messages. Thanks.

If it’s not proper post publicly, you can send me messages. Thanks.

From a forum point of view public discussion is perfectly OK (i.e. it is
on topic). However I’ll certainly understand if you prefer to discuss
privately.

Hi hipboi,

We are new to developing with SoM so at this point we have no clear requirement. Our application in the current project heavily leans on GPU performance and has dimensions in the mobile phone range. So thermal management is also a big deal (as we unpleaseantly found out :)) Besides Kirin and Snapdragon, it could also be Rockchip. We have also used these on Tinkerboards before.

What I find refreshing while looking at i.e. Intrinsyc SoMs, that besides making available all the SoC interfaces, they also provide full access to the PMIC. This makes creating a battery-powered device much more straightforward than using 96boards spec devices.

1 Like

I like the smaller CA form factor. Any other opinions?