What I need to do with MIPI adater?

Dear @Mani
You will solve this issue well !
Cheer up to you !
Many thanks !

Hi @Raph_K,

Update:

I have managed to get the ISP working on Rock960! So far the progress is, we can link camera sensor to the ISP and get the media nodes. I’m yet to test the capture or recording with gstreamer.

Git tree: manivannan.sadhasivam/96b-common.git - [no description] Branch: rock960-isp

You can use the included isp_defconfig for configuring the kernel.

This branch is based on current mainline kernel (4.20-rc2) and it has one sporadic issue on my side which stops booting. I think sdhci driver is not working properly when ISP driver is enabled (could be memory allocation issue?) and it prevents the board to boot further without giving any error logs.

Please test and let me know!

Thanks,
Mani

So the boot issue seems to be coming from Runtime PM support in ISP driver. I have temporarily removed that to continue booting. Now my branch should boot on Rock960 with ISP enabled without any issues.

Will update the thread with capture/recording instructions.

Thanks,
Mani

1 Like

Dear @Mani
I really appreciate for your great works, and will be check for tomorrow !
Regards, Raph.

Dear @Mani

Thanks for your great works, again.
I’ve been done flash into Rock960b, and checked /dev/media0 and /dev/video* as well !
But I’m concern to failure while using v4l2-ctl to capture image or stream for many different capture conditions - different resolution, different pixeltypes as like this:

⚡ root@linaro-alip  ~ 
>  v4l2-ctl -v width=1280,height=720
[  598.069912] random: crng init done
[  598.070242] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
 ⚡ root@linaro-alip  ~ 
>  v4l2-ctl --stream-mmap=3 --stream-count=1 --stream-to=streamcap.dump
[  649.625565] rkisp1: open cif pipeline failed -22
 ⚡ root@linaro-alip  ~ 

Most of times to try capture stream goes to un-responsable - board need to reset if not use --stream-mmap=x option.
Or, creates an empty ( zero size ) file.

I hope your new instruction as soon !
Regards, Raph.

Hi @Raph_K,

Most of times to try capture stream goes to un-responsable - board need to reset if not use --stream-mmap=x option.

This is due to the power management issue I guess. Since I have removed the runtime PM from ISP driver, it is creating issues. I’m debugging this currently.

Thanks,
Mani

@Raph_K

Update:

Rockchip IOMMU driver has been converted to support runtime PM. So, disabling runtime PM support in ISP driver will also make IOMMU not to be enabled. This causes hang while accessing the registers during stream on.

Will see how to workaround this issue.

Thanks,
Mani

Dear @Mani,
I appreciate your works again !

@Mani @Raph_K
Is kernel on the branch rock960-isp has HDMI support ?
I built that kernel and flash boot.img with the command rkdeveloptool wl 32768 boot.img on the card that has the image provided on the 96boards.com. I see no HDMI signal comming up so am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks

Nah, it dosen’t support HDMI out.
Recommend to use Rock960 latest build to enable video device nodes.
But, V4L2 still not works correctly - actually device cannot recognizes for stream capturable.
I think it need to wait for more until works well.

1 Like

Nah, it dosen’t support HDMI out.

I haven’t tested it but it should work with isp_defconfig. Will give it a shot soon.

Recommend to use Rock960 latest build to enable video device nodes.
But, V4L2 still not works correctly - actually device cannot recognizes for stream capturable.
I think it need to wait for more until works well.

Agree. The reason is the proposed ISP patches from Rockchip is targeted for old kernel version (4.14). They never posted any followup patches after that and now we have multiple regressions with mainline. So we have to wait until they post an incremental series.

Thanks,
Mani

1 Like

@Mani,

Can you point me the link to the kernel 4.14 with ISP ?

There is only 4.4 kernel for now: https://github.com/96rocks/kernel/tree/release-4.4-rock960

1 Like

4.14 must be so nice, hugh ?
I believe, too !

1 Like

Oops. Sorry! @vamrs told me about rebasing to Rockchip’s latest 4.4 kernel. There is no plan for 4.14.

Ooooosp !!! Will you keep working on the mainline ?

Dear @Mani,
Ok, I thought it should be easy to latest kernel for 4.14, and @vamrs may not works for that with many drivers need to be changed or updated.
Just I hope the future for correctly working single MIPI camera module on AIStarVision with ov5645.
Regards, Raph.

1 Like