Unable to read network using ethernet port

hi,

i’m trying to connect to our LAN via ethernet but the board does not seem to see it. when i use the ping command to reach a computer on the network the error ‘network is unreachable’. the orange LED on the RJ45 connector is orange. i have attached a picture of the output of the ifconfig -a command. any suggestions would be appreciated.

av96_ifconfig

cheers,
vince

Look like your interface get some packets, but it did not get any IP(v4) address, can you try to run dhcp client manually (e.g. dhclient eth0) to check what happens.

hi,

thanks for your response.

i tried your suggestion but the command was stuck for about one minute before it came back. i did an ifconfig but the result is the same as before.

i also tried udhcpc -i etho but this seemed to be stuck in an infinite loop trying to find the network.

thanks,
vince

ok, interesting… there is something coming on that interface, so maybe it would be worth checking content with tcpdump or wireshark.

hi,

i was finally able to connect to our network using a combination of the watch command followed by the dhclient command. it seems if i watch the traffic on eth0 for a minute an then try to connect to the dhcp server i get an ip address assigned. this worked for two resets of the board. after that it stopped working. i did see that the hardware address for eth0 keeps changing after each reboot. also, the ip address that was assigned to the board was not the same as the previous ip address. i’m guessing that the dhcp server started ignoring the board bc it kept changing its hardware address.

do you know why eth0 keeps changing its hardware address and how to stop it?

thanks,
vince