U-Boot support for Dragonboard410c?

sorry yeah, the local mac address format is should be in square brackets

local-mac-address = [02 00 a9 d5 23 10];

I tried changing
const char *wlan_mac = "02:00:A9:D5:23:20"; const char *bt_mac = "02:00:A9:D5:23:21";
to
const char *wlan_mac = "[02 00 a9 d5 23 20]"; const char *bt_mac = "[02 00 a9 d5 23 21]";

And it does not seem to want to initialize and gives the same error:
wcn36xx: ERROR invalid local-mac-address

After flashing back to the stock image, i dumped out the node for local-mac-address from the /proc/device-tree/soc/wcnss@a21b000/smd-edge/wcnss/wifi directory. I think I know why this is not working now, it appears that we’re writing the property as a string, and I think that the driver wants the mac in its raw byte form. I believe this to be true since just cat-ing out the node results in unprintable characters, but hexdump-ing it out reveals the mac address byte swapped in the hexdump:
0000000 0002 169e 9510 0000006
This corresponds to the mac address on my board: 02:00:9e:16:10:95

The good news is that we’re getting data into the local-mac-address property

ah, yes of course; this will work.

int ft_board_setup(void *blob, bd_t *bd)
{
const char wlan_mac[ARP_HLEN] = { 0x02, 0x00, 0xA9, 0xD5, 0x23, 0x10 };
const char bt_mac[ARP_HLEN] = { 0x02, 0x00, 0xA9, 0xD5, 0x23, 0x11 };

do_fixup_by_compat(blob, "qcom,wcnss-wlan", "local-mac-address",
	wlan_mac, ARP_HLEN, 1);

do_fixup_by_compat(blob, "qcom,wcnss-bt", "local-mac-address",
	bt_mac, ARP_HLEN, 1);

return 0;

}

1 Like

Nice! That did the trick… We can now hard-code the mac address onto our boards.

This mimics pretty much what the LK does (so you dont have to hardcode your own address).

int ft_board_setup(void *blob, bd_t *bd)
{
char wlan_mac[ARP_HLEN] = { 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
char bt_mac[ARP_HLEN] = { 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
struct mmc *mmc;

mmc = find_mmc_device(0);

printf("MMC serial Nbr: %x:%x:%x:%x\n",
	        (mmc->cid[2] >> 8) & 0xff, mmc->cid[2] & 0xff,
	        (mmc->cid[3] >> 24), (mmc->cid[3] >> 16) & 0xff);

wlan_mac[2] = bt_mac[2] = (mmc->cid[2] >> 8) & 0xff;
wlan_mac[3] = bt_mac[3] =  mmc->cid[2] & 0xff;
wlan_mac[4] = bt_mac[4] = (mmc->cid[3] >> 24);
wlan_mac[5] = bt_mac[5] = (mmc->cid[3] >> 16) & 0xff;

bt_mac[5] += 1;

do_fixup_by_compat(blob, "qcom,wcnss-wlan", "local-mac-address",
	wlan_mac, ARP_HLEN, 1);

do_fixup_by_compat(blob, "qcom,wcnss-bt", "local-mac-address",
	bt_mac, ARP_HLEN, 1);

return 0;

}

Cool, I’ve got this working in my build. It sets the wlan mac address properly.

Now I just need to figure out how to get u-boot to read from mmcblk0p10 so I can use the rootfs partition for booting rather than the external SD. I’m going to dig into this and see where I get with this.

this is my bootargs

root=/dev/mmcblk0p10 rw rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 earlyprintk ignore_loglevel earlycon=msm_serial_dm,0x78b0000 androidboot.emmc=true androidboot.serialno=a9d52310 androidboot.baseband=apq mdss_mdp.panel=0:dsi:0

Are you able to load your uEnv.txt and find the kernel uImage and the APQ8016-sbc.dtb from the rootfs partition, or do you have a separate partition for those?

I was thinking that I’d need to create a custom partition map to do get this working properly. Since calling ext4load mmc 0:10 ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/uImage results in “Invalid partition 16” for some reason.

The weird thing is that I can see the 10th partition in mmc part when I select the 0th card in u-boot…

not using the SD card really… I have a tftp server for kernel and device tree so I just do:

dragonboard410c => print tftpboot
tftpboot=usb start; tftp 0x81000000 uImage-410c; tftp 0x83000000 dtb-410c.dtb; bootm 0x81000000 - 0x83000000
dragonboard410c => run tftpboot

Oh cool, you can use TFTP to boot the kernel I guess you’ve got a compatible USB<->Ethernet adaptor to work in U-Boot that’s pretty neat.

Any idea as to why I can’t read anything from the emmc 0:10 (rootfs)?

EDIT:Duh, it’s looking for the partition number in hex! 0:A = /dev/mmcblk0p10

If anyone is interested in booting from the rootfs (/dev/mmcblk0p10) in U-Boot this is how I got it to work:
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p10 rw rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 rootfs=ext4 noinitrd selinux=0

This next set of commands immediately jumps to the kernel:
ext4load mmc 0:A ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/uImage; ext4load mmc 0:A ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/apq8016-sbc.dtb; bootm ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r}

This all works when banging the commands directly into U-Boot, however setting the environment variables and running the bootcmd from uEnv.txt doesn’t seem to do it.

I’ve tried the following:
setenv bootargs root=/dev/mmcblk0p10 rw rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 rootfs=ext4 noinitrd selinux=0

Immediately after this line I get an error even though pasting them in manually seems to work just fine:
setenv bootcmd ext4load mmc 0:A ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/uImage; ext4load mmc 0:A ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/apq8016-sbc.dtb; bootm ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r}
Wrong Image Format for bootm command ERROR: can't get kernel image!

Continuing on with the environment variables seems to work:
setenv uenvcmd run bootcmd
saveenv

Resetting the board at this point causes U-Boot to only read in the uImage and then stop at the prompt… I’m a little confused at this point since manually putting them in works perfectly every time…

So I’ve figured it out! What you need to do in your uEnv.txt file is to surround multiple commands with quotation marks, otherwise the envrionment variable stops at the first semicolon. This results in the “Wrong image format for bootm command and ERROR: can’t get kernel Image!” since we’re only loading the uImage and nothing else.

So to get your board booting from the eMMC you must do the following:

1. Use the latest U-Boot code from http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-mmc.git;a=summary
  2. Patch the dragonboard410c.c board file with the code from ldts’ post U-Boot support for Dragonboard410c? - #93 by ldts (This fixes the broken initialization of the Wireless adapter.)
  3. Compile using the guide found here: https://github.com/96boards/documentation/blob/master/ConsumerEdition/DragonBoard-410c/Guides/uboot-linux-sd.md (ignoring the bits about cloning the repo, since we’re using the code from u-boot-mmc).
  4. Create a kernel uImage using the guide from above and copy it into your emmc /boot/ directory. Also copy the apq8016-sbc.dtb from your kernel build directory to the emmc /boot/ directory.
  5. Create a uEnv.txt with the following and copy it to the emmc /boot/ directory:
    bootargs=root=/dev/mmcblk0p10 rw rootwait console=tty0 console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 rootfs=ext4 noinitrd selinux=0 bootcmd="ext4load mmc 0:A ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/uImage; ext4load mmc 0:A ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/apq8016-sbc.dtb; bootm ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r}" uenvcmd=run bootcmd
  6. If everything works out you should zip right through uboot and begin to boot your kernel from u-boot successfully.

EDIT: Almost left one thing out, if you haven’t been reading the other posts. You need to make this change:
./include/configs/dragonboard410c.h:26:#define CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN 0x1100000 /* 17MB max kernel size */
Otherwise nothing works :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully this should help anyone trying to do the same thing with their boards.

@loic, yes since we are going to pull the MAC from the LK instead of generating them ourselves I need to merge this patch!. thanks for the heads up!

@ldts, about Bluetooth address, note that property is no more local-mac-address but local-bd-address (driver uses local-bd-address) and with least significant byte first contrary to WiFi mac address. (e.g. BD address 00:11:22:33:44:55 => local-bd-address = [ 55 44 33 22 11 00 ]).

ah good to know. that is a patch for LK then

Oh yes, just see you decided to keep this stuff in LK, so think we are good :wink:

well, we decided to leave it in LK for ‘backward compatibility’. but we don’t need it anymore. So I suggest we don’t ‘import’ local-mac-address in the BT node in uboot, only the local-bd-address.

@Rob_Gries

just for completeness (in case you want to update your u-boot tree) this is what I am going to commit.

2 Likes

Quick question, does this still use the eMMC s/n to populate the local-mac-address property in the DTS?
If not, then does this require changes to LK to make this work?