Status of Android on 410C

I’ve been pouring over the forum, Qualcomm’s site, CodeAurora, and 96 Boards trying to figure out what the state of Android is on this board. Sadly, links to snapshot builds of Android 6.x seem to have been taken down and trying to build it on your own against the current Master branch of AOSP seems like a lost cause.
Does anyone here know what is going on with the board? Has Qualcomm abandoned support for it? Shipping a dev board with Android 5.1.1 seems archaic in today’s world.

1. Does anyone have, or know where to find, any of the Android M (6.x) images?
  2. Has anyone successfully compiled Android M for the board recently? If so, any pointers on getting it to compile properly?
  3. I’ve read a few posts that people saw Android N (7.x) being shown on the board, but nothing about an actual release of it. Is there any more information from any source on that?
  4. Is there any chance of Oreo support for this board? (Based on the current state of software, I’m guessing that would be a giant NO, but wondering if anyone has any info on Qualcomm’s plans.
  5. Are there any other projects/sites that anyone is aware of that have successful “modern” Android builds for the 410C?

hi,

it is indeed a not so obvious situation… I won’t be able to comment much on the ‘old’ Android releases from QCOM, since we are not involved there, we are just passing them over (when they come to us), and I cannot comment on availability on any newer releases…

However we have started a project to get DB410c to work , hopefully well, with AOSP. The goal is to get AOSP using the QCOM LT kernel tree (currently based on 4.14 LTS) and the mesa/freedreno open source graphics. Basically reusing the pieces we have been using in our Linux releases since the launch, but with the AOSP user space (e.g. as much upstream as possible, and with no user space blob).

To set up an AOSP workspace and track this work:

https://www.96boards.org/documentation/consumer/dragonboard410c/guides/aosp.md.html

We use the following kernel branch:

https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git/log/?h=release/android/qcomlt-4.14

Which is basically the result of merging android-common and the QCOM LT branch, more or less.

We are daily builds that attempts to build AOSP master every day, published here:

http://snapshots.linaro.org/android/robher-aosp-gendev/402/db410c-userdebug/

cheers.

1 Like

Thank you for the info and your efforts. This sounds promising.

Just wondering how stable is this AOSP based Android for Dragonboard and what are parts that are missing/not working. Is there some list of things that has to be done.

I have been compiling 6.x images just fine. What seems to be the problem ?

Got everything to compile today, but errors out while building the targets. The size of system is 1203 and max is 1144 MB. Are there any flags that need to be set to minimize build sizes for any of the components? Any thoughts?

There’s not a lot of detail here.

It’s much easier to offer ideas is you are explicit about which version of Android you are trying to build, what instructions you are following, at what stage in the instructions things went wrong, and all supplemented by uploading the build log to a pastebin or github gist and putting a link on the forum.

This was following ndec’s instructions exactly from https://www.96boards.org/documentation/consumer/dragonboard410c/guides/aosp.md.html
The process failed after all the AOSP code was compiled/built and it was packaging things up into images in the ‘out’ directory. The system partition output from the compilation of the code was larger than what was allowed in the scripts.
I can certainly post build logs if that will help. Since this effort is just starting, I figured there would be build errors and the output would likely be very unstable anyway.

You should be able to change system img size in the device BoardConfig.mk: BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE=xxxxxx

(this can request to change the partition table as well if not large enough to receive system img)