I have been using the 283 image, on a SDCard for quite some time to reload boards (I take boards back to factory release when I am testing instructions), but possibly something has changed. So as you suggested I have tried replicating your experience.
I re-download 283 using Chrome under Windows and checked that it is still working. Normally to extract the image file I just right click on the icon and select extract, which works fine, then I copy the 283 image from the host to the SDCard using Win32DiskImager. The SDCard I created with this flow comes up to the installer as expected.
But you are using dd, so based on this I think you have an Ubuntu host, so I need to replicate your results on a Linux box. I tried it with dd from Linux box just to be sure something else wasn’t happening. First I downloaded the file using Firefox, since this is the browser installed on the Linux box. And sure enough something else is happening when I try to unzip the file. I have tried it several times (download and unzip) with the same result. I run the command:
error: invalid compressed data to inflate
I get an error from unzip, am I using the unzip wrong program? does FireFox corrupt the download? I’m not sure yet.
But unzip does leave image image file is in the directory and it looks OK. So I used dd to send it to a SDCard anyways. Unfortunately the DragonBoard doesn’t boot at all from the resulting SDCard (more on this later).
So I copied the unziped image from my Windows machine to the Ubuntu box. The file size changed from 3598581760 bytes to 4034920448 bytes. Using the same dd command I reloaded the SDCard.
dd if=db410c_sd_install_debian.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4M oflag=sync status=noxfer
still no sign of life. I must be doing something wrong. After thinking about where the SDCard came from (I had been using it as an ext4 file system) and re-reading the instructions I changed the dd command to:
dd if=db410c_sd_install_debian.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M oflag=sync status=noxfer
Ha, now it boots and comes up to the installer as expected. OK, back to trying to replicate your issue.
I went back to the ‘corrupt’ img file and used dd to copy it to the SDCard (again, but this time to the correct dev). The system boots and shows the installer as expected… I tried actually installing the corrupt image, but it fails while flashing the image to eMMC.
While I am at it I need to figure out why the unzip process is creating a bad img file on Ubuntu. I copied the zip file from the Windows machine to the Ubuntu box and tried unzipping it. The zip file size is exactly the same as the one downloaded by Firefox, 111101340 bytes. This time unzipping the zip file under Ubuntu completes with no errors, so I think the problem may be with the FireFox download. The size of the unzipped file is 4034920448 bytes as it should be. I used dd to copy the img file I unziped under Ubuntu to the SDCard and tried installing. Again it comes up to installer as expected.
The MD5 for the good image file is the same as yours, so obviously you don’t have the FireFox download issue. 5b3f8cba72156aaecb0223c68b410a03
I still haven’t replicated your issue. I really do want to get you up an running so that we can improve the experience. Lets figure out what is happening and how to fix it.
Full Disclosure: I am an employee of Qualcomm Canada, any opinions I may have expressed in this or any other post may not reflect the opinions of my employer.