SD Card boot not working

Hello,

I installed ubuntu following instructions, on a 128GB SD card. Plug it into the device, turns it on, but nothing boots. Screen remains black (as if in Maskrom mode).

I tried installing debian on the sd card, same results.

Any ideas how to fix this?

edit: after installing debian, and then ubuntu on the eMMC, booting completely bypasses sd card, and boot directly into ubuntu (eMMC), and does not get ‘stuck’ on the black screen.

Do you have an older SD card you can try… SD cards have many different generations (which translates to different clock speeds for data xfer) and it is not uncommon for boards to have problems with very new cards.

If you have an older 16GB card lying around it would be a useful experiment to try with that, even if just to eliminate the card from your enquiries!

Hi Daniel.

When i do blkdiscard /dev/mmcblk1 (ie. eMMC), sdcard with debian boots, however sdcard with ubuntu doesn’t boot. serial console shows some panic code.

When I have debian or ubuntu installed on eMMC, neither debian nor ubuntu installed on sdcard will load.

Then you should put that in a pastebin or github gist!

Always share logs if you have them. It encourages better answers.

It boots from sdcard only if I modify mmcblk1p4 partition (this is the eMMC dev), specifically extlinux.conf to “append earlyprintk console=ttyFIQ0,1500000n8 rw root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootfstype=ext4 init=/sbin/init rootwait”.

Note i changed “root=/dev/mmcblk1p5” to “root=/dev/mmcblk0p5”.

The above will boot only if SD card is inserted. If I edit the extlinux.conf file on eMMC back to “mmcblk1p5”, then it will boot back from the eMMC.

Also worth noting that if I erase the eMMC completely, it will boot from sdcard.

Is there anyway to prioritise loading extlinux.conf from sdcard (mmcblk0p4) over eMMC (mmcblk1p4)? That way, it will boot eMMC when sdcard is not present, or boot sdcard when sdcard is present.

Hey, having the same problem on the Rock960 Pro. Have tried flashing the Ubuntu Server 16.04 image from GitHub but to no avail. I’m going to try to eMMC flash it, but I was hoping to get it up an booted with minimal work. I’ll comment about if it works and any work arounds I’m using.

1 Like

@vbguy2011

To meet your requirement, you can just add root=PARTUUID=b921b045-1d for the kernel command line. This will work as you wish since kernel will always look for mmcblk0 first when looking for partition with uuid=b921b045-1d, so mmcblk0p5(sdcard) will be mounted instead of mmcblk1p5(eMMC). If no sdcard, mmcblk1p5(eMMC) with uuid=b921b045-1d will be mounted.

Hey,
had the problem with sd card boot, wanted libreelec on my rock960, but all time boots in android…,
now i had test your ubuntu and debian img and at first the ubuntu boot the first time only…
and all other tests are not booting now…(it boots direct to android)
Can some help whats wrong?

All the latest images: Android(14-Jan release), Debian, and Ubuntu(both 18-Dember releases) are in gpt format. I am pressuming you followed this guide in creating the bootable image → https://github.com/96boards/documentation/blob/master/consumer/rock/installation/linux-sd.md

You may also try another sdcard to confirm if it’s not the sdcard that is having problem now.

1 Like

Hi again,
i had tested a other sd card with same result…
i do it in win: https://github.com/96boards/documentation/blob/master/consumer/rock/installation/windows-sd.md
Should i test in linux?

Make sure the image you downloaded ends with -gpt.img.
https://dl.vamrs.com/products/rock960/images/tvbox/rock960-model-ab-nougat-20190109_1841_8f11d51-gpt.img.gz

The image ends with rkupdate can not write with dd, you need upgrade_tool to install to emmc.

Sorry, bit confuzed now…
So i had to update android on the emmc to get the gpt file sys working, right? (with that img in your link)
Then i can boot the gpt.img on sd card like in the tutorials??
But with the libreelec img… i only need change the img name to gpt.img, too?
Or how does the other ppl get it run on sd card?

Update: maskrom mode /usb connection dont work right… it dont show the right usb device… and with upgrade_tool and lsusb nothing shown but it get some attached…in win it shows an error at the usb device…

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. We just had the Chinese New Year holiday. You can just dd any Linux based image to SD card and boot. For android, there are two formats of images, the one ends with -rkupdate.img is Rockchip firmware format and can not be directly dd, the one ends with -gpt.img is GPT image, this one can dd to SD card and boot. I hope it’s clear now.