RAMOOPS not working

Hi,

We need to use RAMOOPS mechanism to debug the kernel panic issues.
In the hikey960 default kernel config file, below flags are already enabled.
CONFIG_PSTORE=y
CONFIG_PSTORE_RAM=y
CONFIG_PSTORE_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PANIC_TIMEOUT=1
CONFIG_PANIC_ON_OOPS=y

But on inducing kernel panic, the logs are not getting collected under /sys/fs/pstore.
→ echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger
Can you please let us know, why the logs are not getting collected on reboot.
Is there any RAMOOPS_ARGS need to be passed, if so please give the command args.

Thanks

Could you check if below dt binding in hi3660-hikey960.dts can work well for ramoops?

ramoops_ram:pstore-mem{
                     compatible = "ramoops";
                     reg = <0x0 0x20A00000 0x0 0x100000>;
                     record-size     = <0x00020000>;
                     console-size    = <0x00020000>;
                     ftrace-size     = <0x00020000>;
             };

Ok will try and let you know.

After kernel booting up, also need below two commands:

# mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug/
# echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/pstore/record_ftrace

Getting below error:

mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug/
mount: ‘debugfs’->’/sys/kernel/debug/’: Device or resource busy

Getting below error:

mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug/
mount: ‘debugfs’->’/sys/kernel/debug/’: Device or resource busy

Please skip this command, the virtual fs has been mounted yet.

Okay, I skipped that command.
And tried to induce kernel panic with below command, after that device will not boot, it stops at bootloader, again I need to do fastboot reboot, and no logs are collected under /sys/fs/pstore.
echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Hi,
On kernel panic it stops at bootloader (fastboot) instead of reboot, can you please tell how to force reboot? Any boot args needs to be set?

Thanks

Thanks ramoops worked…

But it stops at bootloader (fastboot) instead of reboot, can you please tell how to force reboot?
Any boot args needs to be set?

Sorry for replying late. I checked with landing team, there have no good method to disable “fastboot” mode in boot images. This is not friendly for ramoops and kdump; will check how to resolve this.

I verified the ramoops can work well with ARM+UEFI boot images. If it’s fine for you to change using ARM+UEFI, you could firstly try it: https://builds.96boards.org/snapshots/reference-platform/components/uefi-staging/latest/hikey960/debug/

Or you could follow up steps in doc to build images by self: https://github.com/96boards-hikey/tools-images-hikey960/blob/master/build-from-source/README-ATF-UEFI-build-from-source.md

FWIW, I verified ramoops on Android 4.4 kernel, you could see the 9c9314558e7f5c607184d4a4093e3fd72386cacf - kernel/hikey-linaro - Git at Google has been merged for ramoops dt binding. And you need one extra patch: https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/443912/, if without this extra patch, after enabling ftrace dump in ramoops, it’s easily to introduce hang issue.

Thanks for all your support.
Right now the ramoops is working for me with passing boot args, so I will try ARM+UEFI sometime later.
If you have found the fix to disable fastboot mode, please share.

I am curious how you do this?

Hi,
You can put the boot args in Board file and generate boot.img, which worked for me.