[OE RPB] How to play video file?

Hi Everyone,

I know this may be a big topic about the title, but now I’m not able to play videos on OE RPB 16.06 image. Due to thousands of video formats, I’m not sure if it’s caused by non-supported formats I used or it’s really a common issue on OE RPB build.

Here is how I tried on OE RPB 16.06.

1. Enable X server and openbox.
X &
export DISPLAY=:0
openbox &
  1. Use gst-play to play video.
gst-play-1.0 testvideo.avi
gst-play-1.0 testvideo.mp4

Then, I get warnings about missing plugins, and no video contents are availabe to been seen.

Missing plugin: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder
Missing plugin: MPEG-4 AAC decoder
  1. I try to add plugins for MP3 & AAC.
    [AAC] Add gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-faad
    [MP3] Add gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly-mad

2. And the warnings are gone, but I still cannot play videos. One is ended with “segmentation fault” and the other keeps showing timestamps (“0:00:00.0 / 0:00:33.0”) but no content is available.

Does anyone can play video correctly on OE RPB?

Thanks,
Daniel

it is supposed to work better than that :wink:

i have tested video playback on DB410c with OE already, but i suspect some packages are missing. i will try again and get it fixes in the layers…

@ndec Glad to hear it can work. Look forward to getting your fixes. Thank you!

@ndec Could you share the update status about video playback issue on OE RPB? Thanks!

which manifest branch are you using? we’ve done some important changes in the latest branch (morty) related to video.

Thanks! I will try the morty branch.
Now I use 16.09 which is based on krogoth branch.

ok, this is the right thing to do, as I would prefer not to support the previous branch/driver.

so for the context, the kernel driver (v4l2) has been updated and now works with the upstream v4l2dec plugins from gstreamer -good plugins set. this is the way forward. in morty i have thus removed the custom v4l2 plugins we were using so far.

I am still fixing the last bits and pieces to get the video pipeline to work completly with morty. as of today, you should be able to decode the files properly, but the rendering is not good in terms of performance, should be fixed very soon.

hi,

i just pushed a commit in meta-qcom , that should fix the rendering issue mentioned above. I can play 1080p content with

gst-play-1.0 <file> --videosink glimagesink