No power to USB ports A and B

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Dragonboard 401c and began to set it up according to this page. I’ve flashed Linaro Linux to an SD card and powered up the board, but I cannot install Linux since neither my mouse or my keyboard are working. The same thing happens when I try to boot into the pre-installed Android OS.

The mouse isn’t lighting up at all, so it isn’t getting any power. The board is being powered by an Autec power supply that delivers 12V and the boot switch is set to 0-1-0-0. Both mouse and keyboard are plugged into the board itself, no hubs or KVMs. There are no markings or damage on the board that would suggest it is a physical issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi bwhaines!

That’s really odd, and shouldn’t be happening at all. A couple of things:

• without the correct drivers, the mouse light shouldn’t light up even if the usb port supplies power
  • confirm that the port actually provides no power by charging your phone from it
  • if there’s power then it might be a driver issue find a more basic/universal mouse
  • after you boot from sdcard and flash the image into emmc, you should move the boot switches back to 0-0-0-0

-Howard

Hi Howard, and thanks for the reply. My phone doesn’t charge from either USB port.

My mouse is a simple Logitech optical and the keyboard is an Amazon basic model, so I wouldn’t imagine either would need special drivers. They both work on a Raspberry Pi without any special drivers, for instance. And the only light on the mouse is the one on the bottom, I guess I should have been a little more specific with that :stuck_out_tongue:

So the light on the bottom is on?

If not, then unless someone finds something new about this, it sounds like the USB power switch IC is defective! The data lines might still work though. What you can try in this case is get one of these cables where you can get power separately from a separate usb charger (http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/USB2HAUBYX.main.jpg). This will confirm if it’s just the power that is not being supplied or if even the data lines are dead as well.

No, the light on the bottom is not on. I’ll see if I can find a way to test the data lines. Worst case scenario, I can install Linux via fastboot and just ssh into the board. Thank you again for the help.

Do you have the microusb port connected as well? If yes please remove it. Only one or the other works at a time.

vchong,

No, nothing is in the micro USB port. The only things plugged in are the HDMI cable, the power supply, the keyboard, and the mouse.

Do you know why they made the USB’s power off when you attach the micro USB port to your computer? It makes debugging awfully difficult.