Interfacing I2C Grove Digital Light Sensor on DragonBoard 410c

Hi, working on the above tute.

Using the standard ubuntu configuration from here

When I get up to step 2.2 “make -j8 kernelconfig” The system goes straight to the make process as if I had typed “make -j8” I was expecting the system to show me a menuconfig screen, however it isn’t. Any ideas?

***Edit
My mistake, I think kernelconfig is running but menu not displaying as I am running it through ssh on an ubuntu server.

Solved

Try removing the ‘-j8’?

Hi @tomw,

If you are trying to change the kernel config then please try:

make menuconfig

I hope this works for you.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am now using a VNC service to work directly on the ubuntu terminal (ssh before) and ran both without -j8 and tried menuconfig.

These are the last lines of the kernelconfig process finishing:
menubox.c:(.text+0xedc): undefined reference to stdscr' menubox.c:(.text+0x10a9): undefined reference to wbkgdset’
menubox.c:(.text+0x10b0): undefined reference to acs_map' menubox.c:(.text+0x10b7): undefined reference to waddch’
menubox.c:(.text+0x114d): undefined reference to scrollok' scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/menubox.o: In function do_scroll’:
menubox.c:(.text+0x55): undefined reference to wrefresh' scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/menubox.o: In function print_arrows’:
menubox.c:(.text+0x1a4): undefined reference to wrefresh' scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/menubox.o: In function do_print_item’:
menubox.c:(.text+0x3a9): undefined reference to wrefresh' scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/menubox.o: In function print_buttons’:
menubox.c:(.text+0x4ef): undefined reference to wrefresh' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf] Error 1 make[2]: *** [menuconfig] Error 2 make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/tom/bin/kernel’
make: *** [kernelconfig] Error 2

make failed to build some targets (03:23 (mm:ss)) ####

This is the last lines of the menuconfig option failing:
t out/target/product/msm8916_64/emmc_appsboot.mbn' bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:61: warning: ignoring old commands for target out/target/product/msm8916_64/emmc_appsboot.mbn’
bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:74: warning: overriding commands for target nandwrite_clean' bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:74: warning: ignoring old commands for target nandwrite_clean’
bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:78: warning: overriding commands for target out/target/product/msm8916_64/obj/nandwrite' bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:78: warning: ignoring old commands for target out/target/product/msm8916_64/obj/nandwrite’
bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:81: warning: overriding commands for target out/target/product/msm8916_64/obj/nandwrite/build-msm8916_nandwrite/lk' bootable/bootloader/lk/AndroidBoot.mk:81: warning: ignoring old commands for target out/target/product/msm8916_64/obj/nandwrite/build-msm8916_nandwrite/lk’
vendor/qcom/build/tasks/generate_extra_images.mk:430: warning: overriding commands for target kernelclean' device/qcom/common/generate_extra_images.mk:430: warning: ignoring old commands for target kernelclean’
make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig’. Stop.

make failed to build some targets (03:24 (mm:ss)) ####

any ideas?

Try sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev before building again.

ok great, will do. And what does that package do? I have googled it but not found much.
Cheers

Tom

ncurses (new curses) is a programming library providing an application programming interface (API) that allows the programmer to write text-based user interfaces in a terminal-independent manner. It is a toolkit for developing “GUI-like” application software that runs under a terminal emulator.

source: ncurses - Wikipedia

Thanks @vchong that worked. What gave it away?

You’re welcome. Nothing really. Just googled it like you did. :wink: