How to get started with SLVS/SLVS-EC interface sensor?

I’m developing a camera for astronomy use. It needs to record video at 12bits/pixel monochrome 30FPS or slower, with a lossless compression format such as lagarith.

Anyway, I’ve chosen the Sony IMX433 or IMX426 0.5 MP sensor. Now, how to assemble a system for developing the code? I haven’t chosen a processor yet. The requirements are that it can input .5MP of data at 30FPS from the sensor, encode it, and record to an SD card, and the power usage should be reasonable, since the device must be battery operated. The development board should also be reasonably priced. The $2000+ Sony development kit is beyond my budget!

Can the DragonBoard 410c work directly with the IMX433 which has SLVS or SLVS-EC output?
If not, can you suggest a SLVS/SLVS-EC to MIPI CSI-2 converter, or suggest a different processor and development board?

I’m prepared to make my own camera board if necessary, but I’d prefer to buy one for initial code development if the price is less than $2-300. The sensor could be any in the IMX family that have SLVS or SLVS-EC output and are compatible with my chosen processor/development board. Any suggestions?

Why are you limited to SLVS-EC, most of the 96boards, including dragonboard(s) support MIPI CSI-2. Is there no CSI-2 version of this IMX sensor? Why are you limited to IMX sensors (from your requirements you only need 0.5MP@30FPS)?

You can look at ultra-96 and check if there is an FPGA lib for SLVS-EC support.

Since we want to see dim stars, we need high quantum efficiency and low noise. I think the IMX sensors are good for that. Also want 1/2 inch or larger format, but reasonable cost. The IMX433LLJ is in the $50 range. I don’t think any of the IMX sensors in >=1/2 inch format have a MIPI CSI-2 interface. If you can suggest some other monochrome sensor that meets those requirements, I’d be happy to check it out.

Thanks for the ultra-96 suggestion. It’s a bit expensive. I’m hoping for a processor that’s under $100.

With some more research I find that plain SLVS runs at 594Mbps and the IMX433 has two SLVS output channels. And the Zynq chips can implement DDR LVDS receivers that can run at up to 950Mbps (Zynq 7000 datasheet page 33), so maybe I can use an inexpensive Zynq or Artix FPGA development board.

Hi JamKok,
Did you get any further with your developement?
I am considering the IMX342 and will have to face the same issue with SLVS vs SLVS-EC.
The SLVS-EC IP is not available for free and will require the use of 8 GT to get the full wack from the sensor.
It is a shame the GT is much more BW capable but the bottle neck sits with the sensor.
I am considering to start with the SLVS interface and purhaps move to SLVS-EC in the future.
So any feedback from you will be beneficial.
Some of the FPGA IOs can reach 2.4Mbps so I am hoping that it is possible to use the SLVS-EC with IOs rather than GTs. But I doubt it is possible.
Thanks
YA