How to generate sdcard installation image?

I think you’ve probably landed on the wrong topic…

You’ve already ruled out doing this the “right” way (e.g. repeatable build engineering for mass production) and want to do it instead by cloning a board (backups and short runs). It is discussed here:

Apologies… sent you to the wrong topic (hadn’t realized we’ve discussed the same issue twice recently). This thread is much clearer:

1 Like

Hello, I’m looking for the android sd installer creation scripts which is located in this private repo. Is it possible to get hold of the script, as I’d like to generate my own android sd installers. ssh://dev-private-git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/db410c_bootloader.git. I’m looking for the script that does these ./build sdcard_install_android. And this is for the dragonboard 410c

hey,

to be honest, i wasn’t aware we still had references to that private git tree… we haven’t done such a build in more than 2y, this is really old project.

This private git is what we used in the very early days of 410c, and it has been replaced by this tree now:
https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/db-boot-tools.git

unfortunately it looks like we never updated the android build. Note that the Android build was the SD card for the Qualcomm Android release which is probably even older than that.

So maybe we should check what you really want to do. If you want to build a boot SD card with the installer script, then you should check our latest SD image with the Debian builds instead, the tools have been modernized and all scripts are published, see:
https://git.linaro.org/ci/job/configs.git/tree/lt-qcom-debian-images/sdcard-dragonboard-410c.sh
this is where we create the sdcard with the installer, and it uses
https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/db-boot-tools.git/

which is the “latest” and public version of ssh://dev-private-git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/db410c_bootloader.git.

Thank you Nicolas, that helps a lot, I’m able to build the debian based sd installer with the updated scripts. The old scripts took me in the wrong direction, I’m right now in the process of setting up the android installation image within the sd installer.
Also regarding my requirement, I have a dsi touch display that i’m interfacing with the db410, most part of which is working, I need the custom installer to get the installation of OS done by using the dsi out and not the default hdmi out. Thanks again!!

hi,

I think i meant to share this link that creates the SD card installer with our Debian image:
https://git.linaro.org/ci/job/configs.git/tree/lt-qcom-debian-images/installer-dragonboard-410c.sh

as you can see in the script that generates the SD card, the boot image that is used to boot the “Installer” is using a Linux kernel from our 4.14 release branch. e.g. the Installer is a simple X/Qt application that boots from SD card, and it installs our OS image from SD card into eMMC.

If you want to installer to run from DSI panel instead of HDMI, you need to have a boot kernel that has support for DSI instead of HDMI (and the DTB).

I have used the script from this same thread, were some one had posted the contents. Thank you for all the help, Iam able to build installers, also, I m actually in the same direction to get the linux kernel updated with dsi out, LK update is complete and is working, the drivers for the panel giving me some trouble in the image +dtb in boot.img, but I believe it is just a matter of debugging…the final android image to be installed is all working with my panel display + touch. The installer is the final peice. And down the line touch support for win iot core as well.

Hello, have got the sd booting fine with the OS list (with the dsi display), one quick question that I had was regarding the flash tool that is present in the db-boot-tools, which is the tool that is invoked by the X/QT app and that helps in writing onto the eMMC. Is the flash tool able to write android images also to the eMMC?

please ignore my previous question, i see that flash is just a script that invokes mksdcard with the partitions.txt, so if i’m not wrong, if I provide the android partition info, it should work, I’ll let you know if I run into any trouble. Thanks!