How to connect to ethernet

Hi, how do I connect an ethernet port to the rock960? I’ve noticed there are extra contacts in the usb3.0 port, what kind of connector would I need to break that connection out into the standard rj45 port? Thanks!

Hi,

extra contacts in the usb3.0 port

what do you refer? can you post an image?

On rock960, if you want to use ethernet, you need usb type C or type A to RJ45 dongle.

Sorry for the late reply

here is a picture of the extra contacts on the blue port P_20180714_221334_vHDR_On.jpg - Google Drive

not sure what they’re for, if anything

These ‘extra’ contacts are actually part of USB3.0 standard [1]. including differential pairs for transmitting and receiving data at superspeed. The legacy contacts D+/D- are used for backward compatibility with USB2.0. Like @hipboi said the easier way is to connect a USB-TO-Ethernet adapter.

[1] USB 3.0 - Wikipedia

Huh! I had no idea. thanks for the help!

an set about at hooking up a moshi usb-c ethernet adapter with USB passthrough (last feature conducively kilter chorin’ aA8 throuth that jacket) doesn’t bring about leaded internet “out of the box” sporadically detected with “enable networking” square ticked. Any particular settings in Debian demanding pay heed to, under VLAN, Bridge or whatever in order to aquire sough endmeans. Wallop wit dhat? hobutta rudimentary twitten suggestions 4orientation.

what doesn’t lsusb show after plug in the adapter? and what does ifconfig -a shows after plug in the adapter.

You cannot possibly understand that, can you?

1 Like

I remember this post. Since it attracted a reply I decided not to kill it. It is also sufficiently weird that maybe it counts as “performance art”.

On the other hand I did make some changes to the user database so the post does not contribute to the users trust level (discourse relaxes its anti-spam traps a little for established users).