Hikey 96Board serial console

Hi,

I was wondering how to attach a male or female 9 pin serial console to HiKey 96board. I saw a similar question asked for the Dragon board, but doesn’t seem to be anything for HiKey. Thanks.

Peter

It’s easiest if you use this: http://www.96boards.org/products/mezzanine/uarts/.

Else you might have to cut cables, figure out pin positions and do some soldering. If you really want to do that, refer to https://github.com/96boards/documentation/wiki/Dragonboard-410c-Installation-Guide-for-Linux-and-Android#setting-up-the-uart-console. This is for the db410c but the pinouts are the same.

I see thanks. So if I buy the UART interface, all I will need is an usb-usb cable? This will get me ttyAMA3 which will give me fastboot + bootloader + kernel serial console output? Will it also give me output once I boot into Linux?

There are 3 UART on the board it seems and only UART2/3 are on the expansion headers.

You’re welcome. Yes, with the UART adapter board, you only need a usb-(micro)usb cable. This will give you everything as ttyAMA3 is now the default UART for all the SW components.

There are 5 (maybe 6?) UARTs on the board and only UART2/3 are on the expansion headers. UART2 links to (LS-)UART0, and UART3 links to (LS-)UART1 on the adapter board. Sorry this is confusing but work is in progress to make the numbering/naming easier to read/understand.

I see. I’ll grab these then.

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel... [ 3.208950] hisi_thermal f7030700.tsensor: THERMAL ALARM: T > 50 [ 3.700731] of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node '/smb/uart@f7113000' missing or empty Loading, please wait... Scanning for Btrfs filesystems fsck from util-linux 2.25.2 rootfs: clean, 73544/200000 files, 419953/819200 blocks /init: 401: /init: touch: not found [ 5.951584] wlcore: ERROR could not get configuration binary ti-connectivity/wl18xx-conf.bin: -11 [ 6.655034] of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node '/smb/uart@f7111000' missing or empty

Debian GNU/Linux 8 linaro-alip ttyAMA3

linaro-alip login: root (automatic login)

Last login: Mon Feb 22 02:38:12 UTC 2016 on ttyAMA3
Linux linaro-alip 3.18.0-linaro-hikey #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 30 00:11:03 UTC 2015 aarch64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@linaro-alip:~# [ 8.094372] (stk) :response timeout during fw download
[ 8.099460] (stk) :download firmware failed

On the HiKey monitor, I first get an Openbox Syntax Error in “/home/linaro/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml” line 1: Start tag expected, "<’ not found. Also there is a prompt to unlock Default Keyring. Not sure if this has anything to do with the UART.

I can see output when I start up and shut down but I can’t seem to interact with it.