HDMI boot up time

Hi Nico,

Thanks for the comments, especially about the bootloader. I hadn’t realized the LK sources were fully published and I confess I’d not actually seen the release notes… I’ve been diligently work through the install instructions (and I got my kernel build instructions a similar way):

I like to docs a lot but it does now occur to me that the they do conspire to conceal the release notes.

Daniel,

we used to have very long release notes with a lot of information about how to flash, how to use… (that was for the Snapdragon 600 builds we did prior to DB410c). When we started DB410c builds we moved most of the ‘fairly static’ content from the release notes into the wiki/docs, and we kept the minimum info in the release notes, e.g. typically what can change from one release to another… I kept the kernel and bootloaders details/build instructions there because i wanted them to ‘stay’ with the release notes. The wiki might get updated and we might lost history over time…

I am opened to suggestions to make this better if needed…

nico

I’m thinking about it and also invite @ntis and anyone else reading this thread to comment as well (I also hope you don’t mind us derailing it slightly; we can jump to another thread if you do).

I think I generally prefer release notes to focus on content that changes from release to release, mostly what’s changed and known bugs. As is evident in the above thread, it really didn’t occur to me to look beyond the github documentation to find how to build the code.

However your point about skew between the wiki and the actual release is a good one. Managing wiki based documentation when a new release renders is inaccurate for some, but not all, of the userbase is difficult (the wiki is all in git though… we could snapshot it).

I think the last step to do even if I would’nt arrive to this point, I’ll make a try with a custom LK (in fact I’m affraid to get some glithches passing from LK to linux drm initialization. For now I have to deal with HDMI because all my mech has been done with an HDMI to LVDS panel and I think I will do a second step with a direct DSI panel driven with my mezzanine board…
Is it in LK that I can prevent booting from SD too ?

I was for now looking to scale down the rootfs and use the Yocto project you documented, but it embeddeds a lot of stuff even in the console, I will try to find how to stretch down to just a busybox to have a clean start point

For the initrd I understood that it was to boot by name, in my embedded environment this is not more necessary and suppress a lot of boot time

Just from my user point of view, I only saw the release note, and not the wiki, thats why on my part I knew that it was possible to rebuild LK :slight_smile:
But you’re right perhaps is it now the right place to tell so, perhaps a link to not only wiki the general wiki entry but like a sum up but on each articles because I found these technical points in the release note very usefull (and I’m always lost in wiki trying to point out what I need :smiley: )
I can so point to different wiki pages in case of 2 releases with 2 differents method ?

Ni ntis (there’s now to Nicolas on the thread so I switched to usernames),

Even if you don’t build LK and enable the HDMI from there you might want to kill the serial output. It won’t save you much time (after eyeballing the serial output I reckon about 100ms at most) but 1% is still 1% ;-).

yes, the rpb-console-image isn’t a minimal image. but you can use OE default images such as core-image-minimal, that should give you a much smaller image:

— buildhistory/images/dragonboard_410c/glibc/rpb-console-image/image-info.txt
+++ buildhistory/images/dragonboard_410c/glibc/core-image-minimal/image-info.txt
-IMAGESIZE = 139284
+IMAGESIZE = 75308

and the core-minimal-image has the following ‘large’ packages:

18856 KiB mesa-megadriver
14562 KiB systemd
14323 KiB kernel-image-4.4.8+linaro
6044 KiB firmware-qcom-dragonboard410c
5196 KiB udev-hwdb

It can certainly be optimized further… i am not sure why we have mesa-mesadriver… but this is another topic :wink:

I will try the default OE so :slight_smile:

You’re right for mesa , is this needed for plymouth perhaps ? Do you think systemd can be removed too ? I need very little init configuration in my embedded project!
I’m not really fluent in yocto, but we can see a dependency tree on the recipes to understand better the interaction between components?

@danielt You’re right two nicolas in the same thread will be a little bit confusing :slight_smile:

@Ntis: the inclusion of mesa in the non graphical image is a bug in the QCOM BSP layer. i will fix it. I submitted https://bugs.96boards.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340 to track it.

for our images we decided to use systemd, but that’s a ‘distro’ choice. you can create your own image without systemd, of course. you can use the OE ‘nodistro’ instead of the rpb distro. if you need help there, i suggest you start another post.

So I try with LK but I’m a little bit lost in the code, I need to patch the code to suport the adv or somewhere it exists an option to add with slight modification ? like a configure or sthing else ?
Il the release not the tag mentionned doesn’t exists (debian-qcom-dragonboard410c-LA.BR.1.2.4-00310-8x16.0-linaro1) I took the ubuntu one, and the fastboot command lacks of flash just for the doc, but after that I’m stuck in not knowing what to do in fact

I have pushed the tag, it’s the same as the one you used, i forgot to update when we moved from ubuntu to debian (though it doesn’t really make sense that I put ubuntu in the tag name in the first place… i will probably replace by ‘linux’ at some point). I will fix the release notes to add ‘flash’ too.

for the code changes, i am afraid i can’t help much , it goes beyond answering some questions, and we don’t have the b/w to make these changes.

Yes it worked to recompile with the ubuntu tag and I was thinking of why it could be distrib dependent :smiley:
For the LK I don’t want you to do the code just if you know how to add drivers into LK and from where take source code, I never use to even configure such boot loader and don’t find how to do this properly

Hello,

this thread is looking useful to me also.I have written a tty driver .whenever i load this driver.insmod is showing device or resource is busy.so i understood that console is using the serial port.I am using the marshmallow android on snapdragon 410c.I changed the options in CMDLINE in Boardconfig.mk file from ttyHSL0 to tty ,for my device.but still i am getting this problem.
I am newbie to this kernel stuffs.please any help will be appriciated.