Hardware encoding h.265 rock960 HEVC

Board based on the Rockchip RK3399 - ARM Cortex-A72 Dual-core up to 1.8GHz + Cortex A53 Quad-core up to 1.4GHz

well as i see that the rock960 supposed to have HW h.265 encoding as it have the mali-T860 which supports h.265 encoding and decoding for main profile
according to mali wiki

so i need to make sure from you guys that the rock960 model c 1 gb ram realy supports h.265 encoding and decoding or not ?
and does it have the drivers and stuff needed to use the HW h.265 encoding ?

Yes, rock960 supports h265/HEVC via mpp lib.

Just tested it from debian build with test player:

export DISPLAY=:0
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/examples/multimediawidgets/player/player bbb-1920x1080-cfg06.mkv
mpi: mpp version: b212d1b author: Jacob Chen [mpp]: fix mjpeg buffer leak
mpi: mpp version: b212d1b author: Jacob Chen [mpp]: fix mjpeg buffer leak
H265PARSER_PS: vps_id = 0x0
mpp_buf_slot: new width 1920 height 1080 stride hor 2304 ver 1080 fmt    0
2 Likes

oh thats very good it would be the cheapest solution
you tested h.265 hardware decoding only right ?|
or you tested h.265 hardware encoding also ?

Only decoding, but i’t supposed to support encoding as well. I can give it a try If I have time this week.

thanks loic it would really help me decide to buy it or buy another board waiting your test

it works, with MPP as well.

So, what are the performances of the encoding?
May I expect to encode 1080p at 30fps with h.264/HEVC with this board?
Thanks.

Seems to be a quite basic use case, so I would say yes.

Hi Loic, sorry to disturb, can you plase confirm what software did you used to hardware encode h.265 with mpp library ?
Would you be so kind to post some examples ?
Looking at ffmpeg officila website hardware encode with mpp is marked as N (possible but not implemented).
Many thanks.

I compiled latest ffmpeg with --enable-rkmpp and I have h.264 hardware decoding, but I don’t know when hardware encoding will be available. It is announced for Q4 2019 on RockChip’s wiki.
It is supposed to be available on gstreamer, but I’m having issues compiling it for the time being.