H.264/265 Hardware Encoding in Linaro using Venus

Hello,
Because of performance concerns, I have to use Linaro releases for RB5 instead of default Ubuntu which includes OpenMAX support. However, Linaro doesn’t include OpenMAX plugin for GStreamer. So far, I have tried;
1- Adding RB5 support for gst-omx plugin with recipes(.bb files), then using bitbake generating an image which I hoped to both include and support OpenMAX, but it failed.
2- Building Gstreamer(1.14.4) from its source codes using Meson and Ninja, again applying some patches so that Gstreamer would have supported the OpenMAX for RB5. Though, Gstreamer detected the omx modules, it didn’t work in pipeline, failed again.
3- Lastly, I encountered with this topic which says Venus is the driver for hardware accelerated enc. & dec. operations. Now, I got a Gstreamer command that works like a charm in Ubuntu using OpenMAX,
**gst-launch-1.0 -e videotestsrc ! video/x-raw, width=640, height=480 ! queue ! omxh264enc target-bitrate=10000000 ! video/x-h264, stream-format=byte-stream ! h264parse ! rtph264pay pt=96 config-interval=1 ! udpsink host=192.168.1.14 port=5000**
. I need to find a way to use Venus for H.264/265 hw encoding and decoding instead of OpenMAX. Any help & recommendations will be appreciated.

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. Probably going to install Ubuntu…

Hi, I somewhat found a solution. This kernel version seems support Venus, but currently OV9282 side is not working.