GPS Software

No not really. That seems to be an API just to communicate to the GPS after the initialization has been done in EL1.

The way typical GPS hardware is accessed at platform level is via UARTs; the GPS UART is usually configured in the device tree and the GPS hardware is enabled via GPIO. I thought you might have checked this.

Wait, so as is, the device’s GPS isn’t functional with the included Android build?

Last time I checked I believe it was working on Android with release 15.06 (not so on Ubuntu)

I used google maps to request the location after enabling the GPS device in “device only” mode and the coordinates were correct.

Ok thanks!

Google Maps does not come standard on the Dragonboard 410c. Is there another way to verify coordinates? I downloaded AndroSensor but the GPS information shows as “unavailable”, even after I changed GPS to “Device only” mode and turned Qualcomm iZat on.

I’m going to try again later with a better view of “outside”, but I strongly suspect that coordinates obtained from google maps are actually based on NETWORK rather than GPS. Google maps does this, and really doesn’t distinguish well between the two.

One of the things that can exacerbate the problem, is if you are on a static IP that gets a lot of google maps communications. Its likely that the network location will be extremely accurate, as within the range of the wifi connected to that IP.

FWIW: In exactly the same location, my Nexus 6 reports time to first GPS lock of 7 seconds.

Try with GPS Status:

Note: for anyone who doesn’t have play store installed on their db410c (which I hope is most of you, since it isn’t actually legal), install it to your OTHER Android device, and pull the apk off with adb in root mode, then install to db410c.

Hi,

I am trying to validate GPS on Q410 with Android. But it is not
working with Android release. As per discussion still there
are some issues. Have they been resolved?

Please share your inputs on same.

Regards,
Amit Shah.

There is definitely something misconfigured in handling the GPS on this hardware. I am not aware of any way to make it work at this time, which is a shame, since my application requires it to work.

I can understand that there is some problem in GPS validation? But can you please tell me whether problem is at Android Application layer or at hardware level? I want to validate hardware so is there any way to validate hardware using Linux kernel without using Android HAL or application layer?

Is there any news on this?
I am running the latest Ubuntu image from the Download area here and would love to know of ANY
(user) way to access the GPS of the board.
Any help is highly appreciated!

I haven’t had a chance to test this, but I’ve been told that the GPS is actually expected to be functional on these boards as they ship, but possibly with weakish reception.

Try OUTSIDE with a clear open sky. Hopefully (even if it doesn’t lock) it will at least pick up something.

Also notice the dashed line of solder around the primary chips on the top of the board. That is a footprint for a shield. You can try to make a rigid metal shield to fit that footprint, or you can take the easy road, and use an electrically conductive TAPE. NOTE: Obviously, you don’t want to short out any of the components under it, so start off with a layer of ELECTRICALLY INSULATING tape. I’m not sure if regular old electrical tape will cause thermal problems, so maybe something like this; https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9771

Then over top of that, a layer of conductive tape like http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Electronics_Product_Catalog/~/EMI-Foil-Fabric-Tapes?N=8697833+8704974&rt=r3
** or, you could probably even use aluminum duct tape that you can pick up at building supply stores. Just need to make sure that the electrically conductive layer is tied in to the board’s ground.

Actually, my Dragonboard recently arrived with such a shield soldered in place already.
But thanks alot for your description that also might help others.
Yet, I would not know which software to use, to access the GPS unter Ubuntu.
Now, this may become a less DB related issue admittedly.

hi,

right, the boards are now shipping with the shield in place already.

About the s/w the GPS is unfortunately not supported under Ubuntu/Linux releases , as of yet.

I’m not sure that a GPS will be much use under a desktop linux distro… if you can get drivers in place for it, you might be able to get a coolness factor from having an NMEA datastream dumping to your screen, but beyond that, nothing.

If you plan to actually use the GPS for any useful purpose, you would be much better off with Android, since there, you at least have various location aware software that could use the data for something practical.

Thank you. Let’s hope this will change in the future.
There is one thing to use GPS to get your own location. It’s another to develop for GPS. Then you would want it functional in your dev environment.

Any news on getting this info in Linux? I’m looking to get location information so I can report an accurate location to a central service. I could ask the user to just provide it but where’s the fun in that??

hi,

we are looking into it , among other things… I don’t have a good estimate right now, but clearly, it’s not ‘soon’.

cheers

Just got my board! im developing some software wich uses gps the NMEA string, so just want to ask there is no way right now to access this on linux on this board?

@doitright - You could pull the apps out from your OTHER Android device. But play store’s “Vending.apk” (which is the main app) doesn’t get installed externally right? Or is there a way to do that too?

Obviously, Mr Doitright haven’t seen OpenCPN? :wink:
(as a reference to some really useful GPS sw on linux)

http://opencpn.org/ocpn

So definitely a working GPS NMEA stream accessible from linux on the Dragonboard would be really nice.