eMMC 4.5 vs eMMC 5.0

Hi all!

The Snapdragon 410 has support for eMMC 4.5 storage, but, nowadays in most sellers catallogues eMMC 4.5 is obsolete and it’s out of stock and will no longer be manufactured. Instead, eMMC 5.0 is available from all manufacturers and all distributors (Mouser, Farnell, RS, .
Can I develop a board with the Snapdragon 410 and a eMMC 5.0?

Thank you all guys!

Hi @andribiotic

eMMC 5.0 is a superset of eMMC 4.5. An eMMC 5.0 part should work, but I haven;'t tested it. You won’t be able to access some of the eMMC 5.0 new features such as HS-400 mode. The new DS signal can be left not connected since this is only used in HS-400 mode.

Full Disclosure: I am an employee of Qualcomm Canada, any opinions I may have expressed in this or any other post may not reflect the opinions of my employer.

Thank you @ljking for your response. I’ll read the documentation from JEDEC about eMMC 5 to be sure.

Hello,

Any news about this?

Thank you,

Hi @andribiotic, have you tried eMMC 5.0? If so, what brand and part number you have use and tested.

Thanks

DIDI

Hi,

I am using the eMMC 5.1 (Sandisk and Kingstone part) with Qualcomm 410 SoC & with Linux Debian. Its working fine.

My query is, As eMMC 5.1 is support the health information, Does this feature support with Q410? How can we get the eMMC health information using Qualcomm 410 SoC (support upto eMMC4.5 as mentioned in device specification)?

Thanks,
Darshak

Which information do you refer exactly? Is this information part of the ‘Extended CSD register’? this register can be read from eMMC v4.4 and up, though some of the fields have been defined in later versions. If supported, you can have some lifetime information from sysfs;

cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0\:0001/life_time 0x01 0x01

Or with a more user friendly tool installing mmc-utils:

mmc extcsd read /dev/mmcblk0
eMMC Life Time Estimation A [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A]: 0x01
eMMC Life Time Estimation B [EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_B]: 0x01
eMMC Pre EOL information [EXT_CSD_PRE_EOL_INFO]: 0x01

Values are part of the spec, but AFAIU EXT_CSD_DEVICE_LIFE_TIME_EST_TYP_A=0x01 indicates that device is about 10% to 20% of is lifetime (0x02 means 20% to 30%, etc).

1 Like

Hi @Loic,

Thanks for sharing the useful information. I am also expecting same. I am under impression that Q410 soc has support upto eMMC 4.5.and eMMC 5.1 feature may not work withQ410.

I have two different eMMC vendor parts. 1. Kingston and 2. Sandisk.
I am able to read the health information with same register value with Sandisk only. But not able to read from Kingston.

Regards,
Darshak