DVI can not be used with Windows 10 IoT Core

Hi.

I installed Windows 10 IoT Core on DragonBoard 410c.
When connecting to the monitor with the HDMI cable, it will be displayed correctly.

However,
I converted HDMI to DVI and connected it to the monitor.
Nothing is displayed.

Why is this?
HDMI and DVI should be compatible.

Thank you.

Hi @iwasat,

Sorry but the “Windows 10 IoT MSDN Support Forum” is probably a better place to discuss Windows 10 IoT. You’ll be likely to attract more eyeballs on that site because there is a bigger community of Windows 10 IoT users hanging out there:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WindowsIoT

Thank you for reply.

However, it was displayed in DVI in Raspberry Pi of Windows 10 IoT Core.
So, this is a problem caused by DragonBoard and I guess.

Best regards.

I will try asking a question to MSDN Forum just in case.
I will keep following as soon as I have progress.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84644330-4795-46f7-817c-cc189f83ad3d/dvi-can-not-be-used-with-windows-10-iot-core?forum=WindowsIoT

Regarding appropriate forums to seek help with Win10 IoT for DB410C… This is a third party build and, as far as I know, there simply aren’t any experts in Win10 IoT hanging out in this forum. In the past some posters have been rather frustrated that their questions received no replies for, for that reason someone (usually @vchong or myself) usually at least pops up to suggest other places to seek support.

Having said that we know almost nothing about Win10 IoT we do, at least, have some knowledge of DVI-D and HDMI! As it happens DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible but use different protocols for meta-data (and potentially also different colour spaces for pixel data). IIRC Win10 IoT for DB410C uses a fixed HDMI video mode meaning only a narrow range of display devices will work correctly. Some DVI-D monitors will work (depends how “fussy” they are about the meta-data).

Of all the images for DB410C the Debian image has the widest monitor support (it automatically selects the optimum video mode for the display device). I’m afraid that doesn’t really help if you want to run Windows though…

hi danielt.

Thank you for reply.

Your answer was very helpful.
I think it is one of the information I particularly wanted to know about the following.

IIRC Win10 IoT for DB410C uses a fixed HDMI video mode meaning only a narrow range of display devices will work correctly. Some DVI-D monitors will work (depends how “fussy” they are about the meta-data).

I do not understand about the fixed HDMI mode, so I will investigate it.
And I’d like to decide again whether to use Windows 10 IoT Core or not.