Choosing Correct Board

Hello,

I am looking at finding a powerful board that is very development friendly and has good support for outdoor cases because I want to use this device outdoors. Are there any recommendations since I know little about these technologies? Thanks in advance.

Joe

There absolutely no lack of power for any of the 96Boards CE editions (all have at least four cores running at >= 1.2GHz).

However right now there are no official cases for 96Boards CE edition. There are a lot of 3D printed or laser cut designs but I doubt either would offer enough ingress protection (against dust and/or water) for outdoor use. All 96Boards have M2.5 mounting holes however. That means the best approach for outdoor casing would be an IP65 (or better) junction box modified (if needed) with a Dremel.

Note that the box will have no ventilation so if you live in a hot part of the world or the box will be placed in full sun (in a temperate climate) the available compute may be limited by thermal issues. There’s not much you can do about this except perhaps add heatsinks and carefully position the board within the case to maximise internal airflow. If you can run the power to the board at 12V rather than mains voltage then you don’t have to worry about the power supply contributing to the internal temperature!