Build kernel image for dragon board

First I tried with only the kernel build , but failed to update the kernel
Then I tried to build the complete AOSP and tried to boot with the boot image part of this build , here also I failed.
I am totally blank , Can please some one guide me what is the reason for this fail (Eventhough we merge the dtb with the regular kernel build (Image.gz)?

It’s what Loic said. You need a bootloader that supports this type of
kernel image.

Hi @shan2911

It is confusing, so I will try to clarify. When the 410E boots it goes through about 5 stages, where each stage is fetching more code off the eMMC. You need to use versions of each stage that are compatible with each other, and compatible with the AOSP you are building. You have older versions of the stages and this why the kernel you built won’t boot.

The kernel you are building needs the latest versions of all of the stages, and the correct partition table. The easiest way to get all of the right versions and partition table is to build an install SDCard with the latest Debian release and load the eMMC from the SDCard. Once you have done this (and tested that it correctly boots from eMMC after removing the SDCard), then you can use fastboot to install the new AOSP kernel (boot) and user file system (rootfs) that you have built.

Hope this helps.

Full Disclosure: I am currently an employee of Qualcomm Canada and any opinions I may have left in this or any other post do not necessarily match the opinions of my employer. As of May 22nd/2018 I will no longer be employed by Qualcomm Canada. Currently looking for new opportunities, you can contact my personal email through the forums at 96Boards.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply .
Is there any ways I can prepare the SD card directly with the latest Android [7.0.0] images ?
Meaning build the AOSP and prepare the SD card on my own ?

Thanks for the reply ,

How can I get such bootloader ?
Is there a way I can build this kind of bootloader?

Follow @ljking’s advice above. It is good, mostly because the Linaro AOSP port probably has more in common with the Linaro Debian images than with the Qualcomm AOSP builds.

Only the final stage bootloader (called LittleKernel) is open source. Instructions to rebuild that are found in the release notes for the Debian releases (scroll down):
http://releases.linaro.org/96boards/dragonboard410c/linaro/debian/latest/

HI ljking
From your comment below is my understanding

1. Prepared a uSD card with latest Debian images and load the eMMC with this debain image.Make sure its working fine.
    2.Build the latest AOSP (Definately appropriate to the DB board)
    3.Place the board in fastboot mode and flash the images built in the previous step.

Please correct me if I m doing anywhere wrong.

Hi @shan2911

yes, your steps look good…

Full Disclosure: I am currently an employee of Qualcomm Canada and any opinions I may have left in this or any other post do not necessarily match the opinions of my employer. As of May 22nd/2018 I will no longer be employed by Qualcomm Canada. Currently looking for new opportunities, you can contact my personal email through the forums at 96Boards.