Booting using USB Drive

Is there a way to boot the avenger96 via a USB drive. I have tried changing the boot config as mentioned in the documentation which is all switches to 0, but it did not work.

How did you prepare your USB disk?
What does it show on the console?

Used the guide and software mentioned in the website,
Avenger96 Installation - 96Boards.
Software to prepare usb Etcher.
<using windows 10>

That guide shows how to prepare the board to boot from an SD card not from a USB drive.

[quote=“Taha_g, post:3, topic:8882, full:true”]
Used the guide and software mentioned in the website,
Avenger96 Installation - 96Boards.
Software to prepare usb Etcher.[/quote]
So as @danielt mentioned, you prepared it as if it were an sdcard, which it isn’t…

That certainly doesn’t help matters at all…

And how about that console output? Its hard to help you without knowing what’s going on.

It’s not booting and I don’t see any output on the screen either

I didn’t say screen.

I said CONSOLE.

I don’t exactly know what you mean by console in this case, also tried to boot the OS using a SD card but the same result.

Can we start with the basics.

The docs indicate the board ships with a pre-programmed microSD card. Ideally you should try that out first to make sure the board isn’t damaged. Did the board boot correctly when using the provided pre-programmed SD card and following the instructions in the docs?

BTW if the board doesn’t boot then the next step is usually to attach a UART adapter to the board and see if it output an useful information. Unfortunately I won’t be able to help guide you with that bit since I don’t have a board!

1 Like

I have tried to boot OS in eMMC on the avenger 96 board using Nor flash boot mode, tried to boot OS on the SDcard using the SD boot mode and same for the USB. Dip switches are set according to the table in the documentation.
I obtain the OS for the SD card from the following link
https://wiki.dh-electronics.com/index.php/Avenger96#Documents
the boards power led, user leds, wifi and bt led lights up but the screen is blank.
And dont understand what you mean by console.

Here’s the deal; when someone decides that they want to buy something like this, i.e., a device which is an exposed circuit board rather than a shiny plastic box that they can just plug into a television, other people have to make an assumption that you chose to obtain it because you have a certain very basic minimum knowledge and experience related to it and how to work with it. If not, then where do we start from? Learning the alphabet? I don’t have time for that.

I will now step back a few steps and assume that you have far too little knowledge to work from, but I will assume that you do know how to read, since we are able to communicate somewhat here on this forum.

So what I will suggest, is that you take some time to learn the basics. A good place to start from is to READ THE MANUAL. https://www.96boards.org/documentation/consumer/avenger96/hardware-docs/files/avenger96-hardware-user-manual.pdf – I’d like to especially draw your attention to section 1.2.4.5 on page 14.

1 Like

there was no pre-programmed microSD card inside the box. I had to find the OS and burn it on to the SD and USB myself.

But it is working with the SD card?

Firstly, with my moderator hat on, I’m pleased to see the “heat” on this thread come down a little. Written text doesn’t have a tone of voice meaning an amusing aside or inside joke can be written using exactly the same words as a vicious insult (and can be misinterpreted as such). Please be cautious when writing and charitable when reading.

Secondly @Taha_g mentioned that there is some activity on the LEDs. Could you describe that? And is the LED activity different when the SD card is/is not inserted. On many boards the LED activity can be used to determine the difference between “board did not boot” and “board booted OK but can’t put a picture on the HDMI display device”.

Thirdly if you don’t have the hardware needed to access the console you might be able to use the network connector instead although this depends very much on how the board has failed. @Taha_g: Are you comfortable with tools like nmap and ssh?

But I need the IP address of the board to access it via ssh, if I am not wrong

Hence the question about nmap! If you do an nmap ping sweep when the device is turned off and also when it is turned on then the difference will give you the IP address.

There are many other ways to sweep for IP address (looking for new DHCP leases on your router for example) but nmap is fairly simple and there is plenty of blog posts to help you figure out the right commands for your network.

Have you managed to boot Avenger96 from the USB drive?
What about the microSD-based boot? I have brand new board rev 588-200 and cannot boot it from the SD.
I do not have problem to boot it from the embedded linux.