Android Automotive

Hi,
Has anyone tested the Wifi feature in the Automotive build? In my setup, the Wifi scan results does not show up my phone’s hotspot network. Also I have seen that the Wifi does not connect to any router. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Akshay

Works for me. Once in a very rare while, it won’t see 5 GHz networks, but a reboot cures that.

But ideally, it wouldn’t be connecting to any wifi networks, it would be operating in hotspot mode to share a connection with other devices. Unfortunately, there is a bug in the BT that causes it to bail hard if you run too much data over PAN, which is the more proper data source for it.

Hi @doitright,

Thanks for the quick reply. My phone has a 2.4GHz hotspot network and it never shows up in the Wifi scanning list of the Hikey960 board! So I was just wondering if there is any issue with the 2.4GHz Wifi on the board. Do you think I may be missing any kernel config to enable this?

Thanks,
Akshay

Hello everyone,

Hope everything goes well.
Finally for the evs_app I did a new implementation with my own V4L2 frame acquiring mechanism. Google rejected my ticket. They said that they "AA customization is not yet available to the public."

Did you notice some surface displaying failures ? Small black squares come to rest on a part of surface when I launch an application.

An idea on the cause ?

@akshaybhat: without knowing exactly what you are building, I really couldn’t begin to guess what the problem could be. But like I said, its working for me, and I’ve been field testing since April.

So my questions;

1. Are you following my directions for building for automotive? Or are you doing your own implementation?
  2. Are you running a known good manifest? Or master? If known good, which one? If master, what date did you sync on?
  3. What changes did you make, if any?

@AhmedX6 : Do you have a git repo where you are keeping your changes? Or a link to the change you submitted to Google?

Regarding the black squares, there is a bug in the hikey960 driver. Its been around since I started working with the hikey960. If you look through the bugzilla, its even referenced there.

@doitright here is the link of my reported issue : https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/110765633

Ok I did not know that was referenced already. Still no fix yet ?

@doitright: I have taken the automotive changes from your git and merged them with the latest master commit of the device/linaro/hikey. As far as the AOSP tree is concerned, I am using the android-8.1.0_r40 stable release tag and merged the Hikey960 automotive changes into that. Also enabled TREBLE build. So it may be difficult to trace the exact issue with the Wifi with my current setup.
I will try with one of the pinned manifest (from the know-good-manifest) and verify the Wifi first. Do you have any recommendation on a known-good manifest version?

Thanks

Oh, I see. You submitted a bug report. I thought that you may have submitted a patch on gerrit. I’m sure that they’ve got their hands full getting AOSP-P ready to ship and keeping their paying customers happy, so I’m really not surprised by their rejection of a bug report that doesn’t have any impact on supported features or paying customers.

If you come up with an actual fix and post it on gerrit, then there is a reasonable chance they would accept it.

@akshaybhat : The best starting point for you would be to pick a known good manifest from somewhere near to APRIL 20TH, and make sure that you apply my changes from April 20th branches.

Do NOT use the branches tagged “CAR96” or “NEWAUDIO-WIP”. Those are for the mezzanine board I am developing.

Also remember that my github project is DEPRECATED. Use only from gitlab:

For the moment I’m not going through Gralloc, so there is no FIX of the problem, I implemented my own driver and own renderer to make it work using simple OpenGL.
It seems that the surface created by gralloc cannot be accessible by an other process even when I set full permissions. So, I prefered not using Gralloc for that (directly surfacecomposer and egl surface)

Ok, so you did get it working then? Could you point me to your source code? It seems like something that would be a good fit in my repo.

Yes it works without the evs HAL. An independent binary that makes the job.
I’ll be happy to add it on your repo. I’ll make some modifications as I’m using some library that are useless
for any user and I’ll push. I’ll let you know very shortly.

@doitright I’ll give you an access to the source code of camera on github please could you provide me a name ?

Hi @doitright: I tried the following but no luck yet -

1. Synced AOSP repo with pinned manifest - 2018-04-18_21:31:20-pinned-manifest.xml
  2. Replace device/linaro/hikey with the gitlab version - latest commit - 17dd9a62
  3. Applied a couple of patches for selinux build fix from the patches/ folder of the gitlab. The rest of the patches were not applied as I am not using the gps, tuner, etc.
  4. Cloned the kernel from gitlab and built with hikey960_defconfig and copied the Image and dtb files to device/linaro/hikey-kernel.
  5. Built the android with the above and flashed the target.

Still the board is not scanning/detecting some Wifi networks (possibly 2.4GHz). Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

I wonder if your board is defective…

Does wifi work with the prebuilt (non-automotive) system images?
If you enable wifi hotspot, can you detect it and connect to it from your phone?

The hotspot feature works fine. I am able to connect to the board from my phone.
Also, I tried with multiple boards I have but seeing same issue in all of them. Only thing that is left is to test with the prebuilt phone build images.

Thanks

@doitright you did not answer me.

If you’re going to share it with me, it is with the intention of making it public, so then couldn’t you just make the repository public or copy the code into a public repository?