[DB820c] Hardware Encoder and Decoder Support

Hi,

We are looking for hardware encoder and hardware decoder support in linux on DB820C. We are using release 38 from this link. So we have only tried to do the following usecases using software encoder and software decoder.

1. Capture(USB Camera) - Encode(h264) - Store(480p)

gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! autovideoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=NV12,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! x264enc ! h264parse ! mp4mux ! queue ! filesink location=raw.mp4 sync=true

2. File - Decode(h265) - Store(1080p)

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-hevc.mkv ! matroskademux ! h265parse ! avdec_h265 ! filesink location=xyz.yuv

We are able to play videos in both mp4 and raw format properly.

Ask per this discussion on 96boards forum, the tentative date of release of linux kernel 4.11 (with hardware acceleration support) for DB820C was for march ending, can you please let us know if there is a release date for the same.

P.S.: Which commands does linaro use currently for transcoding on DB820c for 720p ,1080p and 4K (in 4.11 kernel) resolution ?

Regards,
Sunny.

hi,

the releases have been pushed out to April instead of March, since we got pulled into something else more urgent… so the branch is not ready yet.

we haven’t tried transcoding yet actually… not sure if it will work right in next release. that will be an interesting use case to try out…

thanks

Thanks ndec,

One more question, Is in the next release the hardware decoder and hardware encoder drivers will be V4L2 compliant ?

Regards,
Sunny.

the driver is the same as for db410c, and has always been v4l2 compliant, both for decode and encode.

Thanks ndec,

I have asked you a question on this link. Can you please provide me the source (it’s link) for v4l2 gstreamer plugins for hardware encoder and decoder for DB410c which works properly with DB410c ? I will study the plugin/s code and try to run "em on DB820C on the next release (whenever its out).

Regards,
Sunny.