410c Windows 10 IoT - Screen Resolution

I’ve gone ahead and submitted a feedback item about this issue through Microsoft’s Feedback Hub. Go ahead an up vote it to raise visibility on the issue.

You’ll need to copy the following link in Edge on Windows 10 to open the feedback item: feedback-hub:?contextid=441&feedbackid=fce5e297-f884-4788-ae59-d6fb501f3991&form=1&src=2

Hi Erik,

Appreciate your responses. Hacking the registers on the ADV7533 isn’t an option for us so we will wait and see if it gets fixed. Thank you for submitting a feedback item on this to Microsoft. I will upvote it once I have sorted my Win 10 to allow leaving of feedback (I’m Insider but required privacy policies are greyed out at the mo.)

IS there any update on adding additional screen resolutions?

Looks like no update. Sort of doesn’t look like there will be an update. I’m to the point where I’m looking for 720p open frame touch screens to use. Does anyone know any good sources?

so theres new versions of windows iot out and it looks like they used the updated bsp but can somebody with a dragonboard confirm that 1080p works?

Confirmed, works. Instructions here. You need to put a file on a MicroSD card and insert that card into the DragonBoard so that it can be read while it boots. If the appropriate file is there at boot, the OS runs 1920x1080.

The file can be had here. Copying from a PDF is awful, but you can do that if you want. The PDF in question (look for Appendix D) mentions panelcfg.asl and the linked post mentioned panelcfg.xml so I just put both files on the SD card and gave them the same contents. That works.

The OS changes the DPI scaling a bit so it looks like a 1280x720 display at first glance, but it is 1920x1080 indeed. Here’s a screenshot. you can verify that it is indeed 1920x1080. If you zoom you will see that it is not scaled up.

This configuration change is a Qualcomm chipset thing, not an OS thing. The file on the SD card configures something in the chipset, not the OS. I suspect this will work on IoT Core for a long while.

1 Like

thank you. so finally that means theres a viable solution for running windows iot with hardware acceleration at 1080p? that awesome.
now only i didnt have to fly it into europe :slight_smile:

Minnowboard Max/Turbot devices have hardware accelerated graphics as well. Their TPM is only half there, though. The DragonBoard supports Azure key storage AND bitlocker, while the Max/Turbot only support enough TPM features to enable bitlocker.

It is hard to find one board that “has it all”. If the DragonBoard had a realtime clock, it would be very close to ideal.

Hi,
I also ran the DragonBoard on 1080p! But can someone adapt this code for the 1024x600 touch screen?
I’ll appreciate that.
Thanks in advance.

After adding the panelcfg.xml to the sd card, the 1080p resolution works, but is there a way to change the dpi scaling for uwp apps?

@andy66 @miroslav.chakarov

In Insider Preview 10.0.17733.1000 they fixed the problem with Full HD on Dragonboard 410c.

They also fixed the issue with scaling ratio (150%) so finally 1920x1080 is not longer scaled from 1280x720 (150%)

@mmichalak

Thank you for reporting this. I can’t find any changelog for this insider build, do you have a link?

Edit: Found the changelog, but there is no description about this fix.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/03e25d05-f209-44a6-97cb-743c9005d1c0/new-flight-17733-released-for-insiders?forum=WindowsIoT

Best Regards

Andy, I suspect that all the resolution problems you have are related to the particular display you are trying to use. It’s HDMI interface may be poorly implemented and Windows may not be able to detect correctly it’s native resolution. In my case I had no issues using a 10" 1024x600 and a 24" 1280x1024 display interchangeably with DB410C, on startup the code detects the display plugged in automatically. But I need to make clear that I’m using a quality 10" display from Xenarc Technologies. This isa ruggedized display that goes for about $600 USD. If you are using a $90 display from Amazon (on which I also wasted my money before) you get what you are paying for.

@GUILLERMO

Previously i used an RPi3 with my screen without any issue. With the panelcfg file on the SD card it works good. I have to test one of the new insider builds of IoT Core, according to @mmichalak suggestion. This seems to solve the problem on the Dragonboard.

@mmichalak

Finally had time to test and installed the latest Insider preview (10.0.17744.1001), but there is no FHD (1080p) available to me. Tried with different screens. Only 720p is selectable on the device portal.

Edit// I tested also with the latest official Debian Image for the Dragonboard 410c, 1080p is working there, it recognizes the monitor model too. So it has to be an issue with Windows IoT Core.

See if you find something in the Windows IoT forum:
Msdn forums - Windows IoT
I had an issue with serial ports not working that turned out to be the a problem with the ACPI drivers that Qualcomm needs to fix. That seems to affect also I2C and other I/O functionality.

Thank you @GUILLERMO. Was your issue on an older build of Windows IoT? And was it solved? When i take a look at the last few changelogs, it seems that the used BSP from Qualcomm never changed. So i don’t know, if such “issues” really get fixed anytime soon.

Hi Andy, I’m still working on the UART issue. Just loaded today a fresh re-flash of the latest stable Windows IoT Core 10.0.17134.1, I downloaded the latest BSP package available from Qualcomm but there are no .FFU images there. Hopefully I don’t have to go through the pain to recompile them. I’m awaiting some answers from Qualcomm regarding that before I waste more time on it. You can follow this thread here: https://discuss.96boards.org/t/uart-devices-of-dragonboard-410c-are-broken-in-latest-release-of-windows-iot-2018/5913/8

Hi Guillermo. Ok that’s odd. Did you test with the latest insider preview already? Regarding recompiling, i have already created some own images (FFU), but we can only use the available BSP file from Qualcomm, i don’t know how to modify this, when creating an image.
Is the current available BSP really new? As i wrote above, i haven’t seen any version changes on thr BSP since months.

Hi Andy, The BSP files are relatively recent, less than 30 days old 8/29/2018 or newer as the file dates you can see inside the ZIP, here is the first part of the readme (they don’t bother to put the release date of each one):

DB410c BSP release notes

The current release is 2120. Following table gives a brief description of fixes made
in the current and some of older releases.

Release# Content
======== =======
2120 UEFI packaged as part of QDN release
HDMI audio support

2119 WLAN firmware update for Krack fix
HDMI autodetect feature

2118 SMBIOS type 2 table support
WLAN host driver fix for Krack (partial)

2117 WLAN Tx power limit fix
QCBinGenTool – source packaging fix
NV2 binary packaged as part of DPP
RS2 update (15063.540)

2116 QCBinGenTool – to help OEMs with the factory flow
MSFT-Signed HAL drivers included
Fix for UM graphics crash
WiFi scanning fix (CR 2029503)

2115 Secure boot fix (TZ image)

2114 Fix for connected standby issue
CPU floor (< 200 MHz possibility)